Article: Boeing can't "give away" first 787 Dreamliners | FerrariChat

Article: Boeing can't "give away" first 787 Dreamliners

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Aug 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #2 Gatorrari, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    heck,id take one for free

3. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Surprised they haven't been sold for corporate use where being overweight is likely less of an issue given payload requirements.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #5 Bob Parks, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  5. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Well - maybe $106 million is a 'give away' in some vernacular, but not in any that I'm familiar with. Seems like a bargain for such a plane, but what do I know about the mega-plane fleet pricing and profit. I would be much more concerned about the seat per pax fuel cost than the initial investment. I heard somewhere that the seat per pax fuel cost was the determining factor in the life of an airliner, bypassing all other costs by a wide margin. I could be wrong...

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    This shows you how expensive today's jetliners are compared to their predecessors. I remember reading back in 1959 that a new 707 was about $6 million. That would be about $48 million in today's dollars - still far less than even the discounted rate for these 787s.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

It sounds (from the article) that the big problem is that those early planes are heavier than the current production... fuel mileage/payload suffers.

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    These birds are known as the terrible teens (sort of by line number).
    From earlier public articles: These airplanes were heavily reworked to correct design deficiencies and upgraded with improvements. Not uncommon with the first of a type but these are exceptional in the amount that was required.

A customer wants a NEW airplane with years of repair-ability built in. With heavy rework already performed this reduces that, plus as mentioned earlier, adds a lot of weight.

For about the same amount of money a customer can buy a new airplane of different model/type with nearly the same economy and performance.

9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah but I hear that the seats don't recline and that the wine they were built to serve isn't very tasty.

Yup - I can see the lack of a market for them.

Jedi

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That's becoming a good thing. I can foresee the elimination of seat reclining in coach coming soon. Personally, I haven't reclined my seat in years.

11. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    So that just begs the question, why not dump them for cheaper and recoupe some of the loss?

Mark

12. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    They are selling them for cheaper but they will NOT recoupe any loss.

I was just expounding on why customers are reluctant to pick them up.

Think of it as a "new" Ferrari that because of design deficiencies had to be heavily rebuilt and more upgrades added before it left the factory. Would you buy one at a reduced cost?

I'm sure somebody would but I think the majority would prefer a new one that was built right the first time.