ATC: Pretty Awesome Landing | FerrariChat

ATC: Pretty Awesome Landing

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by LouB747, Aug 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    This was my landing a few months ago. The guy in the jumpseat must have videoed it. Anyways, SFO 28L, 747-8. Short leg from LAX. I always like this sector. In SFO we rollout to the end of the runway as that's where we park. I usually don't use the autobrakes and just use idle reverse and aerodynamic braking to slow the plane. Anyways, power to idle around 100 ft, followed by a nose high touchdown. Held the nose off for as long as I could. Maybe 5000 ft wheelie. You can hear the stick shaker on the rollout.

Anyways, at the end of the rollout you can hear ATC say, "Good Morning, that was a pretty awesome landing."

That was nice to hear. I don't know if I've ever heard ATC comment about a landing before.

Pretty Awesome Landing - YouTube

Note: this is an unlisted video. Please don't share the link. I will actually only have the video up for a week or so.

2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Really awesome landing! Congrats!

SV

3. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Thanks. I've had my fair share on firm ones too.

4. MARK1992

MARK1992 Formula 3

Feb 7, 2010
    Fantastic video Lou! Thank you for sharing it.

I'm headed for my circuit sortie right now. Let's hope I achieve something half that good!

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Great video-- and great landing. It always amazes me watching a video like this, how much yoke movement you use, yet how steady the outside picture is.

6. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    That's great!! Fantastic landing!! Thanks for sharing.

7. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Yeah, it amazes me too. I'm actually relatively light on the controls and would say I am smoother than a lot of guys. Some guys really get on it!

Here's another video of a so so landing in Narita. Again, taken by a jumpseater. The winds were maybe 10 - 15 kts. It's by no means a bumpy day. But you do use a lot of control for the slightest amount of pitch and bank.

It's also interesting to note that while this is an ILS approach, it's essentially a visual. Day VMC conditions. If you follow my eye movements, you'll notice I don't look outside very much. It's not until 100 ft (less than half the wingspan) that I'm 100 % looking outside. Flying a pure visual approach isn't as easy as it sounds. Maybe you can see why based on how much the controls move to keep it on the glidepath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXEca7r8q6Q

This video is also unlisted. Please don't share the link. Thanks

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Lou, these are great videos to me because they are so far above and beyond anything that I know or have done. Not to demean anything that you have done but I remember Jack Waddell after the first flight of the 747 saying that it was the easiest landing airplane that he ever flew. Perhaps that was for the press at the time but it was a beautiful landing. The first 777 landing was a grease job too. Good stuff and thanks again.

9. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Yeah, the 747 lands pretty nicely. Especially if it's heavy. It can be a bit of a truck and is heavy on the controls. That's fine when it's a nice day. But it can be a handful when the wind blows.

As the 747 is the only jet I've flown, I can't compare it to anything else (jetwise).

10. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Love watching those landings, thanks for sharing.

Mark

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Watched it a couple times (first post)...

Interesting in that the plane seems very steady and smooth relative to the ground, but

Your hand on the wheel is constantly moving, back and forth, fore and aft...

Is that based on feel? or watching the glidepath, or...?

Thanks, Lou.

Oh, and... "Pretty Awesome Landing".

12. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Don't think ATC has ever said that to me, I've had a few " that was lucky !!" or "do you have a license ??" ;)

Great video's Lou, it amazes me how much your eyes are "inside" the cockpit on the first one, is that because your used to flying on instruments, or just because it is easier than flying visually ??

13. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    #13 MarkPDX, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  14. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
  15. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Hardly... That was just a fairly steep approach that was doable because it was a long runway and an experienced crew. Here is another fun one, a visual approach on a moonless night in a very dark place on night vision. There are supposed to be four lights on the approach end but two were out which made things look a little screwy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWSiB7T0Ig

16. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #16 LouB747, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nice approach Mark! What aircraft was that? Was that last pitch up to slow and get the rest of the flaps out?

Pretty much following the Flight Director until at least 200 ft. For those that fly planes without a FD, the FD basically shows the pitch and roll that the autopilot would be using to fly in the mode selected. For approach, it shows what pitch and roll is required to keep on the localizer and glideslope. So while the autopilot isn't ON, it still shows you what it would do.

This in the only pic I could find. It's in cruise flight. However, while the autopilot is ON right now (shown by CMD, meaning the autopilot is in command) the flight director is ON too. The FD is the 2 magenta "crosshairs" shown on the display. As you can see, the autopilot is flying exactly where the crosshairs match up. While this seems obvious, as the autopilot is flying, it can be off. The idea here is that the autopilot (there are 3, Left, Center, Right) flying is the Center autopilot. The FD is showing what the L autopilot would do. So having both this information available to you shows you that both autopilots concur.

Anyways, that can be a bit confusing. The main point is that we follow where those two magenta lines cross. So we are always trying to keep our attitude (the white square) where the FD cross is. Of course you gotta keep your eye on the airspeed too. But that's just to the left and easy to see.

As far as looking outside on a visual, it's not actually that easy. PITCH Flying faster on approach (typically around 160 kts) makes small pitch changes have a big impact on glidepath. While you can keep it on a VASI or PAPI visually, it's not all that easy. It's much more accurate to follow the FD to keep the glidepath. You don't want to be high on a runway that can be relatively short even though it's thousands of feet long. Of course, you don't want to be low either! ROLL Flying faster makes the plane more stable in holding a heading. In other words, the faster you fly, more bank and time will be required to make a heading change. That's a good thing if you're lined up and the winds constant. But with a changing wind, you have to stay on it to keep the centerline. Also, with a wingspan of 225 ft or so, then runway width is relatively small. Even a 200 ft wide runway is less than your wingspan. Think of landing your light single on a 25 ft wide runway. That may not be a fair comparison, but you get the idea.

All this said, it's not difficult to do. It just requires different control inputs than a light airplane. You just use whatever control you need to achieve what you want. It all feels pretty natural.

It is interesting to watch an airliner land. It looks like the pilot isn't really touching the controls and the airplane pretty much lands itself. The pitch and roll doesn't seem to change much. Now you can see that there's a lot more going on than that.

Again, I'm not trying to make the 747 seem hard to fly. And I'm by no means "the ace of the base". I just thought it was cool that the tower noticed my landing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    C-130...... flaps were 100% from pretty much the start of the video, if the volume is way up you can hear the call for them before the break. As you recognized the pitch up is to slow things up and drop the gear before continuing down. I can't hear the gear call but you can hear the flight engineer calling out the speeds.

18. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    many busy TCA have high performance approaches (and departures) which require high / steep approaches, to the uninitiated they look scary, but actually are easy and much safer... using a high performance approach eliminates a lot of sequencing and vectoring, allowing one to literally drop in ahead of a lot of traffic

19. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Mark's C130 approach has me dying to get up in the air and practice those types of landings. They're always my favorite.

Mark

20. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    cool video,at least you cleared the end wall of the runway lip,,and wernt there a few pilots grading you landing at the debrief,[don't you have to pick the 2nd wire on landing?]

21. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    cool,that would scare the crap out of the passengers,,how high and fast were you when you started the corkscrew?,and does that really save you from being shot at?

22. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    The C-130 is a miserable plane to ride in so there is no point making it last any longer than it has to for the passengers.

About 8k feet if memory serves...... It wasn't about avoiding getting shot at, it was about getting on the ground ASAP. The field had been closed for a few hours after an accident and bases all across Iraq were jammed up with aircraft. We had spent a couple hours orbiting as manpad bait and were low and fuel and too close to just make a it a straight in. They finally opened up the field we made it in as fast as we could.

23. Nate2046

Nate2046 Rookie

Oct 15, 2006
    As long as we're posting vids of our landings......

This was me, first month out on line last year, flying soldiers from SVN to SGF. Not as nice as Lou's landing, I'm sure, but he has a few thousand hours on me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTsjTdSt9fw

24. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Was that approach fairly typical in a combat zone?

25. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Looks good to me. It's nice to see one you've made from the outside view. I've only ever found one of mine on youtube.