"The King" is selling his jets...... | FerrariChat

"The King" is selling his jets......

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ryan S., Aug 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #2 toggie, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If those jets could talk, they'd have some pretty wild stories to tell ... :)

Here's Elvis with Linda Thompson (his girlfriend after his divorce from 1972 to 1976).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Hard to imagine what museum is gonna want them, my guess is that nobody is paying to see them and they need some expensive maintenance /repaint before they fall apart. They are ratty looking and really underwhelming to see, very badly dated and not in the retro cool way. I think I got free tickets to see them because it was something stupid like $30 extra if you were buying tickets. My guess is that they will go to anybody who is willing to pay a dollar more than the scrap value. If they aren't at Graceland it's hard to imagine them being any sort of tourist attraction.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    isn't Leno a huge Elvis fan/memorabilia collector? he already owns a few hangars....

4. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #5 Thomas Magnum, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I live 25 minutes from Graceland and have toured the jets frequently. As a pilot myself, I've always enjoyed walking through the airplanes. Sure they're over the top but so was Elvis (I'm a big fan by the way). I'm disappointed the jets aren't part of Graceland expansion plans.

Me and my nephew with the "Lisa Marie" about five years ago.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nurburgringer likes this.
  5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I suspect that Convair 880 is probably the last complete Convair 880/990 left in the world. To me, that is more valuable than the Elvis connection!

6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Nurburgringer likes this.
  7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    series of vids, starting with this one

guy wants to turn it into an RV :eek: ........ without the wings or tail, what good is it? o_O :rolleyes:

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    But is it worth making airworthy? Can that be done without a conversion to a more modern engine? Seems every time I hear of an old 4 engine jet its biggest value is in scrap metal.

9. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Airworthy? Not a chance. I believe the last flying one belonged to NASA and was used until the mid-1990s, so 25 + years since any of them have flown.

The ones in Mojave are apparently used for movie and TV work, on the ground.

10. MichaelP88

MichaelP88 Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2022
    Full Name:
    David
    There are two airworthy and quite nice examples at KCXO (Conroe, Texas) as of a year ago.

11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Two airworthy Convair 880/990s? Seriously? That have flown in the last year?

Or are you talking JetStars, which is a whole different deal... although there won't be many airworthy JetStars soon either. Someone in Klamath Falls has been buying them and stripping the engines off.

12. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    I've been somewhat keeping tabs on this series and am still struggling to figure out how this guy is going to climb out of this money pit. The videos haven't done nearly as well as I believe he anticipated and now he's left with a hunk of scrap for 260k...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    total views on all Elvis jet vids are currently ~4M but his videos are so long I typically skip a lot so no idea how much $$ they're actually bringing him.

crazy story with the auction and their contacting him afterwards:

14. MichaelP88

Jul 22, 2022
    Full Name:
    David

I was talking about Jetstars….

15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The ones from Conroe are now at Klamath Falls, I believe being scrapped. N700RM and N710RM.

16. MichaelP88

Jul 22, 2022
    Full Name:
    David
    That’s a real shame because they were two of the nicest ones I had ever seen.

17. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    After tax he is probably making 2-3k per million views. So 8-12k max revenue, and that's being generous.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat