The first airplane | FerrariChat

The first airplane

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by 11506apollo, Sep 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Let's see whom here knows the answer to this question.
    What was the first heavier than air "airplane" that took off, went airborne and landed safely using its own power?

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    How about Hiram Maxim's contraption?

3. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    he almost did it, but his "machine" never achieved enough lift to actually be airborne, and was actually connected to a track....

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm not looking this up but was it not a glider flown by a Prussian - German back in the 1700's?

5. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Glenn Curtiss' "June Bug" Hammondsport, NY is my guess.

6. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Many balloons and gliders were flown before the one I am referring to flew, including the motorized Wright Flyer in 1903. However, according to the French Bureau of Flight , at the time the world's authority in flight recordings, the Wright Flyer was not the first "heavier than air" powered aircraft that was able to roll from a standing still spot, gain speed and take off, get airlifted and execute a controlled flight, and safe landing. The aircraft that did this, and was Certified as such executed this flight in 1906. Who was the builder and pilot, and what was the name of the plane?

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    How about Penaude?

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #8 Rifledriver, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    Santos-Dumont

A very odd looking box kite kind of thing and I don't think it flew nearly as well as the Wright Flyer III that was flying at the time but it did take off under it's own power.

I just cheated and looked it up. The 14-bis.

9. The Godmother

The Godmother Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Marci H.
  10. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Otto Lilienthal.

Well he was not an airplane but he was the first one to take off,fly and land a glider.

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

So... no pilot?

12. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca

You are correct!
    14-Bis is the plane name. Alberto Santos Dumont.....a.k.a. "The father of aviation" as he is known in Brazil was officially recognized by the French Aviation Authority at the time as being the builder and pilot of the first airplane with a motor and wheels, which used a throttle to accelerate get airborne, fly and land safely. The Wright brother's Flyer did the same 3 years earlier but it was "catapulted" forward thus, it did not use its engine alone to get airborne. Most photos of the Flyer omits the rail and catapult used on their first flight.
    They were all pioneers! thanks.

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I know whichever was the first one it was very tricky and hard to fly, whoever did it had balls of steel and great intiutive skills.

14. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Hadn't heard of it but this video I found made my day.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x9uldy9C_w]First Airplane Flight - Santos Dumont 14 Bis. - YouTube[/ame]

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Well, I was thinking of Santos Dumont but in my mind you said, A frenchman," and Dumont was a Brazilian. I don't recall that his machine had lateral control or a true airfoil.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    As I recall reading about the genesis of aviation many years ago that it flew like a real piece of crap. The Wright Flyer III would quite literally fly circles around it but the Ohio boys were still using a catapult for launch. In some minds that didn't pass the test for a real airplane in the same sense that the X15 does not rate some records because it was not ground launched.

By the time Dumont got airborne the Wrights were doing some pretty impressive flying.

The Wrights were building wind tunnels and studying airfoils. They needed a partner with powerplant knowledge. Almost had one in Glenn Curtis.

17. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    As I recall his contraption actually did lift off and broke the track that was holding it down. The kicker was it was not designed to be stable or controllable in free flight.
    Hiram Maxim - Ask.com Encyclopedia

18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Bob, the front 'canard' box kite-like thing was movable, like a front rudder and elevator. That's where the name canard came from ("duck" in French).

It had no wing warping (like the Wrights) or ailerons, though, so it sort of skidded.

I also read that it never really landed... it ALWAYS broke (crashed?) when it came down and had to be rebuilt to fly again.

19. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    #19 CavalloRosso, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Gustave Whitehead (Gustav Weisskopf).

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If he could drag himself from the wreckage I guess it counts as "Good".

21. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Do we have hear a case of the classic historical revisionism?

That is - find some far-fetched reason why the Wrights did not invent the powered airplane?

There were many attempts, but only the Wrights mastered controlled and sustained flight before all others.

22. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Well that is the crux of the issue. Yes, the Wrights were the first to achieve controlled and sustained powered flight. However they did not invent the airplane. The patent which was issued to them blatantly disregarded prior art. Were it not for others disregarding the patent, e.g. Curtis, the USA would have been flying airplanes with wing warping in WWI.

23. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

The Wrights deliberately delayed submitting a patent, and tried not to fly when the press was in attendance.

They were afraid that someone would copy the plane.

24. vectorfiles

vectorfiles Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    Gustav Weisskopf actually flew his plane a few months prior to the Wright brothers.
    But being a German his PR machine was not as good.

25. vectorfiles

vectorfiles Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    They did certainly not invent it. Their only success was that their first flight became the first motor flight on record.