Air France 447 in Vanity Fair | FerrariChat

Air France 447 in Vanity Fair

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by showme1946, Sep 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. showme1946

showme1946 Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Columbia, Missouri
    Full Name:
    George Rickerson
    #1 showme1946, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    Last night I read William Langewiesche's article on the incident involving Air France 447, in which the pilots essentially flew a perfectly good airplane into the ocean. I would love to read any thoughts by airline professionals on this forum regarding this event and the current state of airline pilot competence.

As a passenger and not a pilot, I must say the article gives me pause. It will not keep me from flying, but I am sure, as I board my next flight (especially my next international flight) I will pause to hope that I am lucky enough to have pilots who, if confronted with unexpected situations, will be able to respond effectively.

2. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech

I think the biggest thing with regards to this is the airline flying, the nationality and the culture of both.

Lufthansa-BA-Virgin-American-Delta- Qantas-Continental-Singapore and maybe a select few others, I suspect have very few issues in that regards

3. showme1946

showme1946 Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Columbia, Missouri
    Full Name:
    George Rickerson
    Good point, and this aspect of the issue is discussed in the article, which is, I should have noted, in the October 2014 issue of Vanity Fair.

4. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    One of the issues is the design of their plane. Sully does an interesting analysis of what he believes to be a defect in the airbus design. With joy sticks, that aren't connected you can't see what the pilot flying is doing. Wouldn't have happened with a Boeing.

The other issue is the costs of training. We are getting very good computer game players here, not pilots. It's going to get worse, because the cost of getting a license, training and building hours restricts those that would become professional pilots. Foreign airlines hire and train. We don't and our pilots are better. Asiana's flight in SFO is a classic example of this.

That's why I prefer to fly myself.

Art

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    We've had discussions about this over the years. My personal opinion is that the Airbus design was at least partially at fault-- I don't think the airplane would have crashed if it had been a Boeing-- but even given that, the crew took what should have been a minor inconvenience and turned it into a major accident.

6. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech

Agreed, but I also don't think it would have crashed if it had been a BA or Lufthansa flight either.

7. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
  8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Perhaps, but I suspect they have their own "bottom 20%" as well. Although, in the end I do think AF does bear some blame.

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

More blame was ascribed to AF than to AB as I recall... in fact most of it.

But the crew and the plane compounded the error IMO.