Textron Scorpion | FerrariChat

Textron Scorpion

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rdefabri, Sep 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    With all the discussion around budget cuts and maintaining a leading edge with respect to air superiority, I found this interesting:

Home - Textron AirLand

No idea if there is any merit to this (sounds like the AF is not interested), but if drones become the increasing norm, is a low cost, multi-role fighter the wave of the future?

I doubt it, but I'm not an expert in this realm by any stretch.

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Every few yrs someone proposes something like this. They fly a prototype and make it all look good, but the prototype is never spec'd out to a final configuration that anyone would buy. As soon as that occurs the airplane performance suffers dramatically and is no longer viable. Might work for some small countries but then the economics of production don't work. US will never buy such a platform, at least not during peacetime or whatever we call today.

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yea, I figured as much. It's interesting that now with the debate(s) over F-22, F-35 and budgets that this crops up.

I can't see it being viable.

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Google Rutan Ares or Northrup Tigershark

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- Affirmative, they never succeeded with the F-20 because USAF never bought any and there was thus no viable parts distribution or maintenance infrastructure for foreign military sales.

6. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Weren't they also trying to sell this as a T-38/T-1 replacement, as the USAF wants to go back to a single track pilot training program?

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

The Air Force is busy buying foreign (Embraer) aircraft anyway.