WW2 Fighter group 339th Reunion | FerrariChat

WW2 Fighter group 339th Reunion

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by f4udriver, Sep 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    #1 f4udriver, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just got back from another reunion of the 339th Fighter Group. Kenosha Wisconsin
    I am on the left

3rd from the right is Bob Frisch, my airplane is named after the one he flew in WW2.

3rd from the left is Stephen Ananian. He spent some time in the English channel in freezing water after his engine quit. (his nephew is Ron Ananian "the Car Doctor" on the radio)

Larry Powell is in the wheel chair. He was injured in the crash of an F-86

Bob is the youngest at 90, the oldest is 97. Bob and I are going fishing in Lake Michigan on Tuesday before he returns home.

They were the best of the best and I would say that includes the age gene.

May be a bit optimistic but before I left they already asked me back for next years reunion.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Damn..not too many left. Enjoy and listen, those are stories you will never hear first hand again.

3. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    It's hard to imagine the bravery, terror, and dedication these fellows had back then.

Hats off to them-- forever.

4. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Unfortunately for civilization, they are a dying breed...soon to be extinct. They were real men.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The Greatest Generation. Tom Brokaw couldn't have said it better. I grew up sitting by campfires listening to stories told by Fathers, my own included who served in every theater in every service. Times I would not trade for anything.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That's a nice thing that you are doing, Mike. Those guys are legends and certainly getting scarce. I'm getting close to 90 and I don't think that any of my service buddies are around anymore. Unbelievably there were two guys that were stationed at Langley with me who worked at Boeing and lived nearby but the last one passed away last year. And I'm the only one left in my family, now, since my brother, also a WW2 vet, passed last year. No big thing, it happens.