1917 Le Clerget | FerrariChat

1917 Le Clerget

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by snj5, Sep 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Here is a neat video of Fred Murrin starting Tom Kozura's 1917 Le Clerget 130 hp rotary of about 1000cid. Makes all that hp at about 1250 rpm -- can you say torque?!?!? The smell of burnt caster oil and the throaty bellow listening in person is just magic. This engine is original to and will be going on Tom's Sopwith Camel replica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4f8ec_-9UE&feature=youtu.be

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    It looks bizarre seeing all that mass turning with the prop. Seems like that would give it a tendency to lift or dip a wing but I'm no engineer.

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    The engine is neat but the airframe it is attached to looks difficult to fly... :D

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In the Camel, it did just that, which is what made the airplane so maneuverable. In the hands of a rookie pilot, the Camel could be a killer, but in the hands of an experienced pilot, it was the enemy that got killed!

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Russ, correct me if I'm wrong on this. I remember that the camel could make tight turns to the right to out-turn a combatant. Not so tight to the left. At low or near stall speed, the application of full power allowed the tail to wag the dog and in the case of the F8F, it could produce a torque roll.

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The famous movie pilot Frank Tallman, on flying his original rotary powered Camel:

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Russ- Would have been fun to see the Camel vs Fred's LeRhone powered Dr.I in a turn contest. Those were the two ultimate turning WW-1 fighters. Both of them were pretty much unstable in all three axes, when you come right down to it. The Dr.I got better press as a pilot's plane, but until they were pulled from the front, they were pretty much only flown by experts and there were only 320 of them built and attrition was high.

The Clerget was a very nice engine with both intake and exhaust pushrods, unlike the LeRhones and Gnomes. Both 130 and 140 hp Clergets powered the Camel, plus a bunch of other engines (LeRhone, BR1, Gnome 9N, etc). But then, you already knew that. The BR1 and Gnome 9N really transformed the Camel with 150 and 160 hp respectively.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Digging back into my frayed mental archives I seem to remember that the ME-109 had a built- in 3-4 deg. offset to the left in the vertical fin. This compromised turns to the left after a steep dive. I recall that pursuing P-51 pilots many times could lay in fire to the right of their adversary at the right time and wait for it to fly into it.