2006 Columbia 400 | FerrariChat

2006 Columbia 400

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by BOKE, Oct 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    That plane specifically, or the 400 in general?

Mark

3. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I'd ask Rob seems he loves his. Austin Meyer had two loves his. Another friend traded his Meridian as his mission changed (it was not the money) for a new one. Also seems prices for used planes have risen. At least asking prices. Having flown with X man it would be my choice. Almost the fastest single production plane right?

4. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Hi Mark,
    That would be Yes and Yes.
    I want to go faster, and have air conditioning.
    I have half ownership of a Cessna 172 currently.
    Cheers,
    Marc

5. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Why is the #4 cylinder at 64. Is that ok?
    Is the ac compressor electric on that plane?

6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Answer is depends. Number doesn't mean anything by itself. Would need to know where it was leaking, e.g. rings, exhaust valve, or intake valve. A good mechanic would have run the engine and re-tested. Doing that they could either solve the problem, e.g. aligned rings on first test or bit of carbon on the exhaust valve seat, or validated the original assessment. Also would want to look at past readings. If it were not a valve I would continue to fly and re-test again after 15-20 hrs. In other words 64 is not a reason by itself to pull a jug.

7. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    The 400 is a great a/c in general. The 2006 is the sweet spot in terms of equipment and weight. I understand they will true out over 200 knots at very reasonable altitudes and fuel flows all day. It's certainly a few steps up from a 172. It's my dream plane.

Mark

8. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    #4 is a definite concern. Good ratings rather than excellent are also of concern.
    I believe the A/C is electric.

9. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    The Conti's are notorious for short cylinder life. Notice that they did a top end overhaul at 710 hours and you are now at 475 since then, more than half way done and while it could be a small amount of carbon or a sticking ring it's far enough off to be a concern. Expect that you will do another top end before 1400 hours and then a complete overhaul at 2,000.

Don't know why the Lycomings can typically make it to 2,000 hours but the Conti's can't, but that's just the way it is. Technique could also enter into it, how hard it is run, how hot, and how the power is managed can be issues, but 700 hrs on set of jugs pretty much sucks.

10. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Thanks everyone for the input. I am looking at a few other 400s as well.

I would really like to talk to someone who owns or has owned a 400.

The prices bottomed on these planes and prices are definitely starting to increase.

I'm not looking for a project. I want to buy the best 400 possible within reason.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers,
    Marc

11. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Rob is your man. I'm sure when he gets back, he'll chime in. If not, I'd send him a PM.

Mark

12. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  13. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    I've flown the 400 but never owned one. It's a fantastic airplane. Well built, fast, predictable, and a joy to fly.

14. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Except maybe the initial ones made in Mexico. IIRC there were some issues with adhesive bonding practices.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm finally back. Let me know. :)

everything pretty much said is correct.

64 isn't a bad number and as said, compressions don't mean jack without doing a scope and other stuff. I think my 400 is 650 tt and never had engine work, finally had a cylinder under 60 this year and was no concern. good chance will need a couple cylinders next year at about 750 tt. that is about par for the course, if you want to run big engines with twin turbos hard, then 800 tt is about the cylinder life.

400 is an amazing plane and as also said, 2006-2008 is a sweet spot. you get G1000, but also a Bend, Oregon Columbia made plane before Cessna ****ed things up.

I think the best ramp presence of any piston single, AC, 200 kt cruise 16k LOP 16 GPH, 208 kt cruise 16k ROP 22 GPH, land and take off well under 2k, fly in the pattern like a RV, and 4 adults golf clubs & go.

you need to sign up for our club forum!

Cessna Advanced Pilots Club - Cessna Advanced Aircraft Club

Van Bortel in Arlington, TX is the ONLY place you want to consult about 400's for PPI and I would even recommend them only for annuals.

Tight Patterns

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7twg3j2x50&list=UUCPKgkVoZvKYiQsd-eaNTjw]2006 Columbia 400 SLX Tight Patterns - YouTube[/ame]

Low Pass

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z4l8E9EcI4&list=UUCPKgkVoZvKYiQsd-eaNTjw]Columbia 400 Takeoff & Pass - YouTube[/ame]

IFR Approach

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbWqS4payAc&list=UUCPKgkVoZvKYiQsd-eaNTjw]Mackinac Island GPS 26 Approach in Columbia 400 - YouTube[/ame]

16. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Rob, how do you like the Vernier throttle? Great videos.

Dave

17. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Rob,
    What don't you like about the Cessna 400?

Why is the Bend Columbia 400 better?

Thank you.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no complaints, but I really don't know better.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    1. Cost of Entry - It isn't like buying an 80's Skylane or Mooney. :D

2. Cessna - Their marketing, engineering, and parts department have been nothing but negligent in how they have managed the airframe and what they got from Columbia in the bankruptcy. They don't know how to sell the plane or compete against Cirrus. They have been 4-5 steps behind Cirrus since 2009 when Columbia use to be steps ahead of Cirrus. Cessna has tried to recover at least a little money on the airframe by jacking up the parts prices for the fleet. It is ridiculous how they have increased parts prices 2-3x in under 5 years. They were also required through the bankruptcy to fix our cosmetic cracks around the windshields and they have dragged their feet 5+ years because of the costs. Our club has been on verge of suing them for a couple years now.

Because of Cessna, all the airframe knowledge and best practices were in Bend, Cessna only transferred a certain percentage of that knowledge and most of those that went to Kansas were gone within a year or two. Bend had the perfect climate for composite construction and since then Cessna has struggled to reproduce the quality and started making wings in Mexico that have delaminated in flight.

I'm not crazy about the new planes. Some cool paint jobs, G2000, and FIKI. However, I think the quality is well below the 2006-2008 planes at 2x the cost. Not a fan of the weeping wing icing solution either. Cessna can shove it up their asses, I'm so mad at them. In the end maybe just a little better that Cessna picked up Columbia than no one taking it and plane going in trash.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay