Lockheed L-1011 lower deck lounges | FerrariChat

Lockheed L-1011 lower deck lounges

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Flash G, Oct 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    #1 Flash G, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Stumbled upon this the other day and thought it was kind of interesting. A small number of L-1011 jets had "secret" lounges where the forward cargo hold would go. A small staircase led to the lounge.

Anyone ever seen this or been inside one? Apparently, PSA had them in all of their L-1011s.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That is really cool.

Of course, to me, the more amazing thing is that PSA somehow thought they could make money flying L-1011s between LAX and SFO...

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    No longer in business, self critiquing. :)

4. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I think the two fatal crashes helped do them in as well.

5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    love the furniture, what looks like a Shelby Williams Pod Lounge Chair

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    apparently still viable in ohio?? under us airways.....

7. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    #7 Flash G, Oct 11, 2014
    They were one of the four airlines that merged into USAir.

Tribute livery:

8. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Does anyone but the Royal Air Force (UK) still fly L-1011s?

9. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    #9 Flash G, Oct 11, 2014
    Apparently, the RAF doesn't even fly them anymore - according to this:

The Lockheed L1011 – Saying Goodbye to Another Trijet

By Bernie Leighton on March 24th, 2014

While 2014 may have been the end of commercial DC-10 services, many forget that the RAF (Royal Air Force) has been operating Lockheed L1011s (called “TriStars” in their parlance) as air-to-air refueling aircraft. Unfortunately for trijet enthusiasts, today marks the end of their service in the RAF. Even worse, they will be broken up in Bruntingthorpe.

As the resident Trijet Enthusiast – I was hoping for a little more notice from the RAF as to when the last RAF Tristar flight would happen. Thankfully, we have someone else who will be able to take the last flight and produce a fine report for AirlineReporter. As we await that final dispatch, let’s take a look back at the L1011 – an historical aircraft that even could have changed the pace of the Cold War.

Much like the DC-10 (sans military involvement) the L1011 started with a request from American Airlines for a widebody airliner smaller than a 747 that had similar, if not identical, range. The L1011, unlike its competitors, was a much more optimized design. Though mechanics and engineers disliked an engine being hidden in an S-duct in the aft fuselage behind the pressure bulkhead, it was more aerodynamically efficient. The aircraft was one of the first to feature a truly independent autoland system (it was, indeed, the first aircraft the FAA certified for Cat-III-C autolandings), even automated descent control. This aircraft was on the bleeding edge of technology. So advanced, in fact, that the original and long-term goals of the L1011 were to manufacture it as a “jumbo twin”.

Unfortunately, its Rolls Royce RB211 engines were also ground breaking. Though Rolls Royce had been working on their signature triple-spool turbofan since 1965, this was the first aircraft to feature it. For around $533,000 (U.S.) per engine, Rolls Royce was offering unheard of efficiency and thrust, as well as lighter and stronger composite fan-blades.

Unfortunately, the composite fan-blades led to massive delays with the engine. If that was not enough, a foreign exchange issue that involved Lockheed revenue sharing on the project sent Rolls Royce into bankruptcy. Clearly, they recovered, as the RB211 became one of the most successful turbofan engines, as well as industrial generators. It did, however, delay the L1011 by two years (unheard of in those times).

When the first L1011-1 flew on November 17, 1970 (from the Palmdale facility), it was pretty much flawless. Despite Lockheed’s troubles over the years, they designed an amazing plane. Unfortunately, an amazing plane came at an amazing sticker price. Airlines could get a 747 for slightly more, or a DC-10 for a good deal less. Also, Lockheed rather misread the market and was too slow in offering a high gross-weight long-range version of the L1011 to compete with the DC-10-30. Compared to 446 DC-10s, only 250 L1011s were ever made.

An Eastern Air Lines L1011 departing Miami. Photo- Torsten Maiwald
    An Eastern Air Lines L1011 departing Miami – Photo: Torsten Maiwald
    Eastern Air Lines was one of the most prolific operators of the type (and was a launch customer, along with TWA). Unfortunately for them, they were also the first to lose one of the type shortly after its introduction into service. Unlike the DC-10 accidents of the same era, Eastern Flight 401 was a fault of ambiguous electronics/human error. Nothing that would tarnish the type’s overall perception with consumers or earn it any onerous nicknames.

The L1011 was designed with so much redundancy that there are even some bright sparks in its relatively small history of incidents and accidents. In the case of Eastern 935, the quadruple-redundant hydraulic system allowed all passengers to walk off the aircraft with nothing more than a few new grey hairs.

The L1011 was an aircraft that was a bright point in an era of challenging reliability issues. I am sure I can find numerous A&P mechanics that will bitterly complain about some aspect (such as using a unique type of self-locking screw). Despite that, the service record was impressive. The L1011 was an aircraft of firsts and great engineering – it was merely a victim of product positioning and Rolls Royce.

To maximize space, airlines tried to utilize “below deck” areas of the L1011. Of course neither PSA nor Court Lines ever really managed to make lower-lobe lounges and air stairs work, but they were an interesting marketing idea that only was ever tested on the L1011 in the west. The lower-lobe galleys were a little more popular, unfortunately. Flight attendants were not a fan of being stuck down below during meal preparation. Regardless, the late 1960’s was a time of rapid innovation and Lockheed was clearly game to try anything to sell a flagging aircraft.

Those of us on the west coast probably encountered more L1011s based out of Delta’s long-gone Portland hub. The only L1011 I ever got to fly on was from Calgary to Toronto with Air Transat. Air Canada had already phased theirs out by the time I became a serious plane nerd, and even then, they never came west of Toronto.

Most of them retired from commercial service in the early part of the last decade. The RAF, however, acquired their first L1011s in 1984; all of them second hand.

An RAF TriStar refuels U.S. Navy F/A-18s over Afghanistan. Photo -Cmdr. Erik Etz, U.S. Navy U.S. Defenseimgery.mil photo 081009-N-7665E-004
    RAF TriStar refuels US Navy F/A-18s over Afghanistan – Photo: Erik Etz, US Navy Defenseimgery.mil photo 081009-N-7665E-004
    All the RAF TriStars were of the -500 variant. Fourteen feet shorter than the L-1011-1, it also was capable of carrying 8000 gallons more fuel. The nine aircraft came from British Airways and Pan American World Airlines. The TriStars entered service two years after Operation Black Buck, which is a shame as they would have made a huge difference.

In service with the RAF the TriStar was used not only as a tanker, but transport, and even medical evacuation aircraft. They have been part of every NATO and coalition action since the Gulf War, up to and including Odyssey Dawn. In service with N0.216 Squadron, they will be replaced by Airbus A330-based Voyagers. The Voyagers will be based out of RAF Brize Norton, like the Tristars before them.

I am aware that the Las Vegas Sands Corporation has two L1011s, but they are listed as stored- and one of them is at Don Muang Airport in Bangkok- rumored to have been damaged in the flooding a few years ago. It is highly unlikely they will take to the air again- but if they do, hopefully someone will sell seats!

10. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Interesting.... I didn't know the RAF was done with them.

11. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    From the above article: "This aircraft was on the bleeding edge of technology." :)

12. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    What kind of airplane is that?

13. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Airbus A319. A shorter version of the A320.

14. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    PSA only took delivery of two L-1011s. Those aircraft went to Canada after but my understanding is the lounges were never used. Those aircraft also had an additional belly fairing to protect that area in the event of a gear collapse.

Agreed on the craziness of LAX-SFO runs...they lost so much money that they cancelled all future orders and returned those two aircraft to Lockheed. PSA was a successful airline that USAir acquired them (and American Airlines acquired AirCal).

BTW the DC-10 and MD-11 were selling the idea of further lower deck lounges or as business class seating to increase capacity. No airline ever took up the option.

15. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I flew commuters with a pilot who used to be an Eastern Airlines Flight Attendant. Anyway, there was a TWA 1011 parked in a remote area of Boston where we flew Metroliners. He got permission to give a tour to several of us. There was a single person elevator that went to a lower galley that might have been where the lounge was. He said the cabin crew at Eastern would strip to their underwear and party their asses off down there.

16. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Nope not quite. L-1011s had a lower deck galley and that was accessed by elevator. The galley was separated from the forward cargo area by a bulkhead. The "lounge" (which was the forward cargo area) was accessible by main deck stairs down to the lounge. On the short haul flights PSA was flying didnt need the forward cargo storage.

No other carrier flew or equipped the area with an lounge. And when PSA sold their L-1011s the next carrier (LTU I believe) removed the lounge and turned it back into a forward cargo compartment.

17. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    PSA, Air-Cal, Reno Air, Hughes Air West, Western Airlines, Braniff, Eastern, Northwest Orient, People Express, TWA, Pan Am, etc... etc...

Someone should start a thread on defunct airline brands.

18. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Don't give me any ideas....

BTW - my son is named Braniff (yes, seriously)

19. Ffinally

Ffinally Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Eastern may not be quite defunct; the name and logo are planned to be used again later this year (theoretically). Even have some new aircraft on order.

20. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    TriStar500.net - Blog

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    There are a couple of good books called "Deregulation Knockouts" which are quite eye-opening.

22. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
  23. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    As for the galley in the L-1011 - When I was a teenager, and my dad flew the L10 for Delta, I went with him on a trip to NY. During the flight, he had one of the flight attendants take me down the elevator to the galley. There were several other flight attendants down there just sitting around and relaxing. Kind of like a hangout for them during the flight. I thought it was pretty cool!

24. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W

Eastern Air Lines Current Status

25. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

This sounds like the beginning of a letter in Penthouse.

What happened next?