Space ship flying off wing of airliner - real video | FerrariChat

Space ship flying off wing of airliner - real video

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by MarkPDX, Oct 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    From the cockpit audio it sounds like a formation flight to get future Virgin Galactic flyers a opportunity to see what they are paying for a ride on.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZj7LB1ilnY&sns=em]Rendezvous with White Knight and Spaceship 2 Virgin Galactic and Virgin America - YouTube[/ame]

2. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Very cool video, thank you for posting. What is the twin ( can't be a Baron, even though it looks like it) flying in formation with them?

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Why can't it be a Baron?

Both planes are pretty slow.

4. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Amazing!!

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That is a great video! For me, the essence of flight is flying with a companion and and seeing the beauty of an airplane in flight...something that you can't enjoy in the airplane that you are flying. A lot of memories popped up when I viewed this video. When I flew in FIFI in 1992, the P-51 " Hun Hunter" pulled along side and a bit below not 50 yards out and we could truly appreciate that airplane as it stuck with us. Flying back from Friday Harbor when we helped to host a group of Russian pilots and translators, the Russian pilots were allowed to take the left seat in the airplanes that were flying with us and they pulled in on each side and stayed there all the way to Paine Field and landed in formation with us. They were fun people and it's sad that politicians have to spoil what could be a nice relationship.
    Another fun incident was when I was right-seating Salair's DC-3 to Pasco when a friend in his T-6 pulled close in for my son take pictures of us and the flight attendants went nuts when they could see another airplane in the air next to them. I remember one of them squealing that "she could even see his mustache !" Good Stuff!

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #6 Spasso, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    That was shortly after Glasnost was implemented.
    They put on a hell of show with their SU-27's at Paine Field that year.
    Also a chance to get up close and inside the AN-225.
    We also got a tour of the IL-62 they were using for support from the "boss".
    Very gracious.
    Fun stuff.

7. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    That was probably the same year the Su-27s were at the Portland air show. It's the only one I remember as something special.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks for reminding me that you were with us that weekend. The two weekends at Abottsford and Paine will never be repeated. The atmosphere of mutual respect and friendship was unreal but the aire of Russian flamboyance and strength was always there. The female translators were lovely, delightful, and impressive with their intelligence and training. The other members of the general team were more aloof and on the brutish side. The day before they departed I went to see our friends at the hotel and the parking lot was occupied by a stream of vans being loaded to the gunnels with booty to take back with them in the ANT255; computers, printers, TV's, etc. Tons of it for the black market.
    My oldest son told me that when they left there were many tears as they boarded the IL-62. They were impressive people and well armed with resolve.

9. Christian Sasfai

Dec 31, 2012
    Heath, Texas
    Full Name:
    Christian Sasfai
    It's a Baron 58 with the back doors removed. Bonanza 36 has the same setup and both make great air-to-air photography ships because of the unobstructed view, ample space for a photographer to move around in the back (club seating), and relative speed. There is a 'behind the scenes' video of an air-to-air shoot of an Embrarer Phenom over Las Vegas at last year's NBAA convention (I watched them flying around the strip then found the video).