Fairey Gannet | FerrariChat

Fairey Gannet

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by tazandjan, Oct 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  2. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    That seems really complex. I was thinking it was griffon powered until he described the twin turbines.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    This was perhaps the only service airplane with a coupled turboprop arrangement that actually worked. Allison tried the same concept with the T40, but it was a dismal failure from the reliability standpoint. The R3Y Tradewind was the only aircraft powered by the T40 that was put into production, and even then its numbers were limited. I don't know what Armstrong Siddeley did right with the Double Mamba engine, but it seemed to work!

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

They could shut down one engine and the rear prop (feathered) to save fuel.

Crew of 3... quite a neat plane.

5. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I was wondering that.

6. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    I know a little about the Gannet. Two things suprise me in the comments made by the pilot in the video. I was suprised to see the aircraft in RAF livery. There machines were sold to the Royal Navy,(fleet air arm) for use on carriers,so would have been coloured green/blue/black. They were used in 60's as AEWACS with a large underbelly. I lived close to their landbase,RNAS Ford,which is close to the naval dockyards of Portsmouth. Often as the Gannets landing,usually with one prop feathered. Also,I always thought that this aircraft was a single seater. In the mid eighties,a friend of mine bought one at an auction,and decided to restore it. I regret to say that it took his every last cent,but never was finished.

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The Gannet never did serve with the RAF, this is sure. About colors, to be pedantic, the Royal Navy (Fleet Air Arm) Gannets were mostly painted in "Regular Pattern Number two" of "Extra Dark Sea Grey" uppers, "Sky" under (later white). Those later used as trainers were aluminium.

348 Gannets of all variants were built, 303 as Anti-Submarine version, 45 as Airborne Early Warning with a big belly radar antenna. Some Gannets were converted in trainers and other roles later.

The decision of the British government to retire HMS Ark Royal in 1978 deprived the expeditionary force sent in 1982 to retake the Falklands of the AEW possibilities of the Gannet, which were much missed at the time...
    Users of the Gannet were: Royal Navy, Royal Australian Navy, Germany, Indonesia.

Rgds

8. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Thank you Nerofer,that confirms my thoughts. I did not realise that the Gannet was such a technically complex aircraft. It is great to see one still airworthy. ...Fly up and see me sometime in Brittany. My 250 hours on PA28,and C172 is only a distant memory now!!

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I have to say that I find some of those late aircraft of the Fleet Air Arm fascinating machines indeed...the "Sea Vixen" for instance making a perfect companion to any Gannet!

Rgds

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I had the pleasure of touring Ark Royal in Fort Lauderdale, FL in the early '70s. Unfortunately, it was pouring rain, so the camera stayed in the car and I didn't get any photos, a real pity. :(

(I've had bad luck with foreign carriers. A few years later, I toured the French carrier Foch in Jacksonville, and the bloody drug store lost the roll of film I had shot!) :mad:

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well Jim, you might still have a second chance with one of these two. HMS Ark Royal has been broken up a long time ago, but "Foch" is still in active service, aged 53, albeit with the Brazilian Navy, under the name "Sao Paulo".
    Rgds

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I seem to remember somewhere that the Brits were good gearbox designers. I don't know where that's coming from but in a few cases they have excelled in that. I read also that the gearbox design on the Russian Bear was all German by engineers taken out of Germany after the war.

13. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    I think that is an Americans way of telling us we make stuff more complicated than we need to...LOL.

Truly and interesting aircraft.. but like the Typhoon, the Tempest and the Brabazon, it looks like engineering for the sake of engineering...

14. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    There is a spin off to this thread. Acouple of days ago the was a prog on TV featuring Lt.Sgt.'Winkie' Brown. He was the Fleet Air Arm chief test pilot for most of his active service. He has flown over 450 Types,and performed over 2500 deck landings. Both of these achievements will remain in the record books for all time. What a guy. I bet he knows a thing or two about the Gannet !!

15. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks for the heads up! Incredible.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Brown_(pilot)

Good stuff to be found on YouTube too..

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    "Winkle" Brown's'two books about - some - of the different aeroplanes he flew: "Wings of the weird and wonderful" Vol 1 and 2 make for an interesting read.
    His favorite aeroplane was the De Havilland Hornet.

Rgds

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  18. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Weird plane.

19. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Then they must have had an off day when they designed the Moss box that was in the Series 1 E-Types. ;)

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Outside of the Hewland I think they had an off century in automotive gear boxes.

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Outside of aviation but there have been some very simple and inspired designs too.

Then there was that thing Whittle designed. Seems to have changed aviation.

22. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #22 Steve355F1, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011