Southwest 'crash', touchdown on nose gear at LaGuardia 2013 | FerrariChat

Southwest 'crash', touchdown on nose gear at LaGuardia 2013

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Oct 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Interesting about the pilot in the left seat grabbing the throttles and pushing the nose down just before touchdown.

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    She had to pee, bad.

3. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    That's one thing my CFI kept drilling, even when I was doing everything correctly, keep the nose up.
    I wheelbarrowed one of my first solo landings and learned from that mistake. It wasn't too bad, I was going slow enough that a little back pressure put the other main wheel down.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    This happened quite a while ago and made the national news. Really bad decision on her part. A go-around solves many problems.

5. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Is there some unwritten rule that passenger aircraft can wave off and go around?

Seems like they don't want to do it because of some fear, so they push landings they shouldn't have attempted. Even if its just in their heads and ego's.

I personally don't like a pilot taking the controls away from the other pilot on down wind almost on the ground and then landing. Should have waved off when she took controls.