Virgin Galactic problem | FerrariChat

Virgin Galactic problem

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by subirg, Oct 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
  2. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    This is sad. They were just beginning to do some serious boasting too.

3. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yikes. One fatality and one major injury, prayers for them and their family.

4. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    #4 enzo thecat, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    Reports from witnesses that it exploded after separation. I wonder if that means on ignition. The pilots on White Knight might have witnessed the event. Probably recorded. I wonder if it will ever be made public. Regardless. that sounds like a failure of catastrophic proportions.

"2007 test explosion
    On 26 July 2007, an explosion occurred during an oxidizer flow test at the Mojave Air and Space Port, where early-stage tests were being conducted on SpaceShipTwo's systems. The oxidizer test included filling the oxidizer tank with 4,500 kilograms (10,000 lb) of nitrous oxide, followed by a 15-second cold-flow injector test. Although the tests did not ignite the gas, three employees were killed and three injured, two critically and one seriously, by flying shrapnel."

There is some history with the propulsion systems. I say systems (plural) because I believe they've changed throughout the development.

5. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Awful. Undoubtedly a huge, possibly terminal, blow to the project from a financial, technical, and commercial standpoint.

6. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    #6 enzo thecat, Oct 31, 2014
    Yes. It is the only one. There are no sister ships.

7. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Radio reporting that its was a problem with the engine, and this is the first test flight for many months because of development problems with the rocket.

Some pretty interesting technology being used right on the edge.

Very sad for everyone involved.

8. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I would be very surprised if terminal.. every new frontier of flight has had setbacks since the beginning as we learn from successes and failures and doubt Branson is the type to suddenly quit at the first setback.

RIP to pilot and thoughts to all affected.

9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Wouldn't be so bad if the brainless "reporters" didn't focus almost exclusively on the death & destruction aspect of the event……obviously because they don't understand much/any? of the technical story…. "SPACE TRAVEL IS DEAD"!!!

10. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    At the very least it's going to introduce a lengthy delay to the program. At worst, it could have a similar outcome to the Concorde crash and bring down the whole program. I hope it's not the end.

RIP to the pilot who was lost.

11. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Very sad for all aviators.

RIP

12. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#12 Tcar, Oct 31, 2014
    Well, the next spaceship is under construction and is about 2/3 complete at this point.

They were using a new fuel, for the first time in flight test, I think.
    Fuel is Plastic based instead of 'rubber' based. Could have been an issue.

13. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Well, there was a crash involving a high-profile program that has resulted in one person's death. Rightly or wrongly, reporters are doing what reporters have always done.

Although I certainly hope that this isn't the death knell, this is a commercial venture, and an event such as this has the potential to give would-be passengers second thoughts. Branson's deep pockets could certainly prevail.

As far as "wouldn't be so bad", it's pretty bad.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    So sad. :( Just recently I watched Ashton Kutcher interview on Conan and he said he bought a ticket on SpaceShipTwo, but had no plans on being the first to go up as a customer in case of malfunction. And then that awesome thread of the spaceship off the wing of the Virgin commercial pax carrying jet was recently posted. Man this sucks. :(

15. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It looks like the fuselage remained pretty much intact to the ground albeit upside down. It also looks like the front came off or opened up. The deceased pilot was hired 7/24...a little over 6 months ago.

Todd Ericson | LinkedIn

16. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Subirg compares this accident to the demise of Concorde.Supersonic travel for millions actually happened,and what a fantastic achievement. A piece of metal,dropped from a previously departed aircraft should never have pushed Concorde towards the scrapheap. However,the accidents surrounding taking paying passengers into space,that has befallen this project,may prove to be unsurmountable. Bransons 'deep pockets' sertainly won't be enough.

17. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    The Concorde was already on its way out, due to high operating costs, at the time of the accident (which certainly hastened its demise). This is a special case, with passengers willing to pay a whopping $250K (!) for a once-in-a-lifetime experience that has nothing to do with getting from point A to point B. I don't see much similarity between the two. Nevertheless, people who paid their deposits for the "space" flight surely must be having second thoughts.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The condorde accident did not kill it off. The planes stopped flying while bladders were installed in the fuel tank to prevent such a tragedy occuring again. There was in fact a massive reinvestment in upgrading the planes by BA. Then BA started flying them again but he french scuttled the whole project. Firstly they refused to sell their remaining aircraft to BA even though they could not keep flying due to their own econmic reasons. The fleet was then smaller and aerospatale refused to support the aircraft with parts.

Interestingly Branson wanted to buy the few remaing BA planes and BA refused to sell to him. There was some sort of court case mooted as the planes had been paid for by the british Gov and Branson was claiming they were a national asett so BA could not refuse to give them to him if they no longer wanted to fly them.

The Planes had plently of lifecycle left and due to the heating during flight had zero corrosion and were really in great shape. But they were also 60's tech, and you dont see too many 60's tch jetplanes flyign these days because maintanance on any old aircraft esp one designed without mainatance in mind is huge.

Spaceship two, unless there is some serious design flaw why wouldnt it continue. its delayed, there are still plety of deposits and takers. For sure some are getting cold feet, but Branson and his son are apparently going to be the first passengers. Out of all the peole who have put down deposits not everyne is chikening out, they will probably get 20 or so flights off and if those dont go boom the others will pony up when their time comes.

But for sure, its spaceflight and sooner or later theyre will be another accident with passengers.

19. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    The wealthy aren't daredevils?

20. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The only pictures I've seen are of a tail section.

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I would say no daredevils in that group. Some probably like to convey the image that they are, but in actuality aren't. Some of the craziest stuff done I've seen is done by those with not much to lose when it comes to walking the fine line of bravery and stupidity.

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Those guys are called test pilots. Brave bunch they are.

23. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Boxerman sums the Concorde situation up very well, The fuel tank liner came directly from the Paris crash. At the same time ,the aircraft was upgraded in many other ways,to extent its life for,say,another 10 years or so.I totally agree that the French had lost confidence,after all it was their aircraft,in Paris that went down. The Branson idea of taking over the fleet was total Virgin hype/publicity,and a complete media campaign to promote his(small) atlantic business.We have done supersonic travel for the masses. Next move will be ,without doubt,those millions of people traveling half way round the world in 2 or 3 hours.A handful of billionaires going on a fun trip for 90 minutes will be a waste of 'space' !!

24. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If the motor cut-off right shortly after first igniting that would leave full propellant, both solid and oxidizer, on board. Wonder if the aircraft is not capable of flying properly due to c.g issues.

25. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    I heard pilot ejected,co-pilot was still in wreckage,from the pics how would you eject?,or was the cockpit a module?