Ernest K. Gann: The High and the Mighty and Island in the Sky | FerrariChat

Ernest K. Gann: The High and the Mighty and Island in the Sky

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Nov 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #1 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So, I was in Sams, lamenting about how great America once was, you know, when men where men. I spotted a John Wayne movie set that caught my eye that included two terrific movies that we proceeded to watch over the weekend. The first was filmed around the DC4, the second Douglas C-47 Skytrain.

The High and Mighty...I can only surmise that Bob Parks has seen the best of America. Men where rugged, and Hollywood was somewhat patriotic. Although I got a real chuckle over of the scene with the rocket scientist painting in the lagoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=64BarFD6Mso

Aircraft feature prominently in The High and the Mighty, including two unusual aviation events: the U.S. Coast Guard's short-lived use of the B-17/PB-1G "Dumbo" rescue aircraft along with a brief launch clip of experiments with the U.S. Navy JB-2 version of the V-1 (an early kind of cruise missile) at an atomic missile test site. The postwar use of piston-engine aircraft in oceanic flights was a key element of the film which required the use of a then-modern airliner.[27]

Wellman, an accomplished pilot in real life, purposely maintained the point of view of the path of the seemingly doomed airliner traveling as the support staff in San Francisco would observe it: flying from the west to the east, from Honolulu to San Francisco, film frame right to film frame left, except during takeoff and landing.

Then the next night, we watched Island in the Sky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HlfyImCWJGo

Again, another great film from when men where men. I love the language and phrases they used. Like, the scene where he says, "Now hold on a minute don't get caught up in the heat of the day." Not one curse word was needed to make a great movie. Just that one social scene where the lagoon was now dead and you should be proud. You've built it alright. You've built a device that will kill a woman holding a baby in a window as it blows out from the detonation 64 miles away. You should be proud...1954. Great movie overall with 6 academy award nominations.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Now you need to read "A Hostage to Fortune," Gann's autobiography!

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I have known and flown with some of the old breed who flew the early mail in DH4's, flew Curtis Condors and 247's, fought in WW2, and flew the first jets.
    I am not a grizzled old oak knot with a gazillion hours and hairy stories like they were. At best I was a wannabe puddle jumper driver limited by my lack of cash but I did enough to taste a bit of the 100 octane exhaust , smell the sweet aroma of nitrate dope, and the less inviting smell of JP-4. I wrote about all that did in my book in my own way that pales next to the style that Gann and others did so beautifully. But at least my kids and grandkids will have something when I'm no longer telling stories.

4. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I remember reading Islands in the Sky when I was in high school. Distant memory, but as I recall Gann had a good bit of profanity in there right at the start when they were describing the "Corsair"... Anyway, I'm sure Hollywood cleaned up, in 1953 they couldn't swear in the movies like Gann did in the book....

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

"Islands in the Sky" is a totally different book. (Islands plural).

Arthur C. Clark; Science Fiction.