Very interesting report: Tracking the BUK launcher that shot down MH17 | FerrariChat

Very interesting report: Tracking the BUK launcher that shot down MH17

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Far Out, Nov 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2014/11/08/origin-of-the-separatists-buk-a-bellingcat-investigation/

Synopsis: Publicly available data (Google Maps/Street View, photos taken in Ukraine by journalists or locals, social media posts by russian military...) can be used to identify the BUK launcher most likely used to shoot down MH17. It came from Kursk with an army group on their way to a "training", changed hands, can be tracked around the separatist area of Ukraine, and was hastily brought out of country after the MH17 disaster.
    Took me a while to read and inspect the pictures, but it's well worth the read.

Interestingly, the newspaper Die Zeit here quotes former Colonel Wolfang Richter, now member of an association that does research for our parliament, that the BUK system has an automatic mode, which, when switched on, tracks incoming airplanes itself and shoots them down. Rebels might have activated that mode, and the system then shot down MH17 itself...

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Florian- Entirely possible, especially if they did not know how to use the IFF feature on the system. We lost an F/A-18 to a similar incident with a Patriot battery in SWA where the crew set it on auto and the F/A-18 was squawking the wrong code. He never had a chance.

3. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
  4. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Maybe they made some changes to the links or article. When i read it it was explained how some government people found that it was not the real photo.

I apologize if i made a (wrong) short conclusion.

5. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    There are two articles linked in this thread, both worth reading!
    1) My link in the OP, where various photos, some made by Russian military members and posted to social media, etc are used to track the BUK launcher around.
    2) Your link, where satellite photos published by the Russians authorities are debunked as fake.

No harm done :)

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    You are right. Just saw it. It will be interesting to see what will happen.

7. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    So here is an interesting conspiracy theory I heard today. There is a suggestion that the intended target was a Russian airliner with the objective being to blame Ukraine for the disaster and act as a catalyst for legitimate invasion. Obviously sounds far fetched, but can we rule any of these theories out given what we know...