2014 Hornet Ball Video | FerrariChat

2014 Hornet Ball Video

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by NYC Fred, Nov 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    2014 Hornet Ball Video on Vimeo

Man, that looks like FUN!

<<2014 Hornet Ball Video
    from Wingnut Productions PLUS 3 weeks ago NOT YET RATED
    The 2014 Hornet Ball Video made by "Wingnut"! The Hornet Ball is an annual event consisting of all the West coast Naval F-18 Hornet and Super Hornet squadrons, their pilots and guests. Each year's ball features a video compiled from the squadrons' year of flying in both combat and training missions.
    CREDITS:
    Intro Poem: "High Flight" by John Gillespie Magee
    Music:
    F.U.N. - Bassnectar & Seth Drake
    Bullet Train - Stephen Swartz (feat. Joni Fatora)
    Crave You (Adventure Club Remix) - Flight Facilities>>

2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    That was very well done. Maybe better than the movie TopGun opening sequence.

3. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    That's how it feels when im flying the Cessna ;)

4. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    It's interesting to note the pilots hands on a catapult launch. Hand is off the stick. I believe the launch is fully automated, at least that's what a friend told me. Maybe some F18 guys will chime in and comment.

I also love what looks like total chaos with the flight controls. One half the stab going up, the other down, stuff moving all over the place. All that to keep it going more or less straight. Love it!

5. Gator

Gator Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 29, 2006
    Mesquite, NV
    Full Name:
    Darryl Van Dorn
    At 8:44, what is the plane with the canards? I don't believe it is another plane as the sweep back and the chord at the tip doesn't match a F-18.

6. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    I think it's a Russian SU-34. Must have been from a joint operation before the Ukraine conflict.

7. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Awesome video. I would love to see something similar with the F22 or F35's.

8. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    #8 Dogdish, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    Trim setting does different things depending if the flaps are up or down.

The Hornet trim with the flaps down is picking an AOA that it will capture after launch with the stick in the neutral position (hands off). The higher the trim, the higher the AOA it will capture. So on launch you will see the elevators/stabilators go to full up then start to relax after it gets off the catapult and gets closer to the AOA you chose for it. You can also see the stabilators go up when they hit the deck and the AOA goes to zero on traps.

With the flaps up, your trimming to "tell" the jet what 1G is. Hope that makes sense. In other words, with the flaps up, a neutral stick will hold attitude(1G) at 150kts or 600kts, without trimming as the jet accelerates or slows down. it is always seeking 1G. The AOA will change, but not the "1G".

I had to kinda learn a different way to fly/think with those flight controls. 1" of stick movement generally gives the same nose or wing movement regardless of speed. It will use whatever surfaces as necessary to give what the pilot is asking. So for a pure roll, it might use ailerons, differential stabilators, differential flaps and rudders (to stop adverse yaw). The engineers did a really nice job of engineering out most the bad handling characteristics.

You'll also notice the rudders toed in with the flaps down. This gives a nose up moment (drag above the CG) to help getting the nose up. With that bent knee landing gear, your main tires move aft about 3 feet when you touch down, making it harder to get the nose up on a cat shot or bolter.

Hope what I said makes sense.

I think the canard A/C is an SU-35, an SU-27 Flanker derivative.

Dogdish

9. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Makes perfect sense. Thanks. Didn't realize that about the toed in rudders. Good stuff. Must be a hell of a ride.

10. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
    It's a SU-30.

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Good god, these are real men, sky gods. Hats off to anyone here that has done this. Just amazing.

12. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    #12 Dogdish, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    The most bone chilling moment in that video is at 9:48. That jet comes out of the clouds for a trap. Only seconds to see the ball (fresnel lens)&#8230;.brings back some bad memories. The LSO's are talking to him/her, but still not fun.

Trying to land from ICLS (ILS) to transition to a visual "ball" landing in that short of a time, is not really enjoyable.

Bill

13. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    cool,vid,,but ''TOMCATS'' still look faster/cooler/better/tougher

14. johnb@macarbon

johnb@macarbon Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    John Borchelt
    Great video.

Where do the F-18s fly around that low? I'm near NAS Lemoore (a major west coast F-18 base out in the California central valley) once in a while but I don't think I've have never seen one actually in the air. Every so often we have an F-18 flying into Moffet Field here in the Bay Area but they just fly in from somewhere and land.

I did learn the background music in the video is from the genre "female vocal liquid dubstep". I would say who ever had heard of that but then I'd feel old.... cool song though. Its Bullet Train by Stephen Swartz.

15. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    I think they are usually on the other side of the Sierras. Less people. Restricted area R2508

Bill