Control Wheel Movement | FerrariChat

Control Wheel Movement

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by LouB747, Nov 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    I remember awhile back someone commenting on a video, possibly my landing, about how much control movement there is for such little aircraft movement. Anyways, I stumbled across this video. MD80. I believe the MD80 used cables to move tabs (anti-servo?) on the ailerons that in turn move the actual ailerons. Anyways, check out how hard this guy is working for not much aircraft movement. The action starts at about 5:40 on the video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb6M9c-Bfes]Amazing Juliana Airport St.Maarten MD-80 Cockpit Video 720p - YouTube[/ame]

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    This video reminded me of flying the Boeing 247. It took a lot of wheel but the response was very slow. I got the feeling that the airplane didn't like being disturbed from a stabile locked in course and it took a lot of urging to get it off its track. The Douglas DC-8 was a cable airplane ,too. I couldn't believe it when I saw the flight engineer's panel. All the levers were cable connected and there were lots of cables going through his control stand. Then the 727, with full hydraulic power to everything, was very quick and had very fast roll response, faster than a P-51.

3. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    I think my arms move less riding motocross.....

I'm surprised they don't get arm pump..

4. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    The flight controls on the 8,9,and I'm pretty sure the MD80 are cables to hydraulic actuators.

Bob

5. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I remember when the spoilers were up in the 727 the roll rate was intensified. You had to be really smooth. But then you almost never used the speed brakes in flight because it sank like a brick at idle.

6. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #6 davebdave, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    Not on the 9/MD80 at least. It is strange when you taxi behind one in gusty winds, the elevators move up and down independent of each other while at taxi speed. It looks like something is seriously wrong.

This video sort of shows what I'm talking about. Notice one elevator is all the way up and the other just slightly. On the take-off roll they fair as the airspeed increases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhDsNbUmby8

7. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    From Boeing:
    General
    Primary flight controls consist of aileron, rudder, and elevator control systems.
    Secondary flight controls consist of lift augmenting leading edge slats, flight and
    ground spoilers, inboard and outboard flaps, and the horizontal stabilizer. Warning
    systems are provided for stall and adverse takeoff, slats, and maximum speed
    conditions.
    Lateral Control (Ailerons)
    Control column wheels are used for lateral control.
    Control wheels are cable-connected to an aileron control tab, and linked together
    by a torque tube arrangement that causes both control wheels to move together.
    Should any part of the system between the torque tube and the control tab become
    jammed, either wheel can drive the unjammed aileron tab cable system with
    application of approximately 50 pounds of pressure at wheel rim.
    Aerodynamic forces on the control tabs move the ailerons. The ailerons are
    cable-connected in a manner that each aileron must respond to movement of the
    opposite aileron. Each aileron contains a trim tab that is cable-connected to the
    pedestal trim knob. Aileron lateral control is augmented by flight spoilers
    operating in proportion to control wheel displacement and/or speed brake input.
    Longitudinal Control (Elevators)
    The longitudinal control system is a pair of elevators attached to the horizontal
    stabilizer. Elevator control is, for all normal flying, an aerodynamic boost system
    that operates a single control tab on each elevator. Each control tab is driven by an
    independent two-way cable system from the corresponding control column in the
    cockpit. The only interconnection between the two control systems is a bus torque
    tube that connects the control columns. Movement of the control column moves
    the control tab, and aerodynamic force generated by the tab moves the elevator.
    As each elevator moves, an additional tab, geared to elevator movement, moves
    to assist the control tab. An anti-float tab, geared to horizontal stabilizer
    movement, is installed on each elevator outboard of the geared tab to improve
    longitudinal trim in a forward center-of-gravity (beyond ten degrees airplane nose
    up) landing configuration.
    Engine strakes on the engine nacelles enhance longitudinal control for post stall
    recovery.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    This pertains to MD 80, -90 doesn't it? Maybe I missed previous statements.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Lou, Bob- That video reminds me of flying formation, where you put in a control or throttle input and then immediately take half of it out nearly continuously to maintain position.

10. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Some racers drive like that. :)

11. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Yes.

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    My old friend, Jack leffler flew 727's for a while and was very careful about the roll rate of the airplane and he said that when he was giving landings to a copilot he always placed his hands on his knees, palms up, just below the wheel to make certain that he could catch it if the copilot over controlled it near the ground.