Thoughts on HondaJets for charter operation??? | FerrariChat

Thoughts on HondaJets for charter operation???

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by robbreid, Nov 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robbreid

robbreid Karting

Feb 25, 2007
    HondaJet; https://www.hondajet.com/pdf/PILOT_MAG_Reprint.pdf

Here's the question - we've seen some huge failures in the light jet charter market - like Day Jet - however there are some real successes like JetSuite and up and coming Wheels Up.

So if you had access to a dozen HondaJets - and could start your first base in a major North American city - within 500 miles of 250 million people - just wondering thoughts on setting up Fractional, Membership, Charter or combination.

any ideas or thoughts ::: thanks

2. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Aircraft reliability plays a big part in a operation like that. I know it's a Honda, but it's too new to have a track record IMO.

3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Avantair had a good idea, Piaggios are economical, fast and reliable.
    They failed anyway.

4. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Actually, Avanti's have parts and service center issues. That was their downfall and why they are so cheap to acquire now. I tried to buy one for months and couldn't put it together.

One of the most successful charter ops is Planesense running PC12's.

I wouldn't buy a bunch of HondaJets that have never been tested and start a business with them. Murphy's law dictates a failure. Why not buy a bunch of Mustangs for $1.5MM each? Or older CJ's? Not sure the fascination with HondaJet. They have very little utility unless it's for you and your wife and kids jumping around.

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What does "have access" mean?

If you mean buying them, forget about it.

If you mean someone already owns them and wants to let you use them, then I think it could make sense.

The fractional business model is to buy the airplanes at a big discount, sell shares in them at full retail, and keep the difference. Break even on operations, and keep selling shares. In five years, make everyone turn over into new airplanes and start over.

If you can buy these HondaJets at a big discount, I suppose that might be worth looking into-- but it's high risk. If you can't sell the shares, you're going to lose a lot of money. And, as Jason pointed out, if they have mechanical issues, you're looking at even more losses. Your fractional owners expect transportation, and if your airplanes are grounded, you still have to provide it-- at your expense.

6. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    on utility alone, the Honda should be disqualified... especially with no other larger volume/utility options available... a narrow capability aircraft runs counter to successful charter operations where clients come with wide variety and inconsistent needs... aircraft perform best within their design niche... nothing new here... just look at the history of operating expenses within any operation...

7. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    #7 absent, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +1 on the Mustang.
    What a neat, quality package , never had a chance to try one before this Summer, flying with my wife from Brussels to Nice.
    Expected significantly less comfort then Hawker 400, was pleasantly surprised.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login