pilotless fighter planes? | FerrariChat

pilotless fighter planes?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by marknkidz, Nov 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    forgive me if this has been discussed previously....

was in a discussion with my son last night, I was wondering, why we don't have Pilotless fighter planes yet? (or do we?) My rational was the Fighter Jets of today can handle and produce more G's than our Pilots can withstand... So too me it only makes sense that to get the most out of todays current fighter planes, a pilotless fighter would be a distinct advantage when comes to evasive maneuvers when locked onto by ground missiles or air to air missiles, or even dog fight (which in todays age seems highly unlikely)...Not to mention the savings of life when pilotless plane is shot down.

Or at very least an auto pilot mode of some sort, that pilot can activate which allows the plane to maneuver at increase G load, which pilot would black out from, kick in auto pilot, execute evasive actions, put plane and pilot out of harms way till pilot comes too.

thoughts?

2. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    aren't they called drones?

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Yes, and the US military calls them a "UAV" for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle or "RPA" for Remotely Piloted Aircraft.

If you do a google seach for "Fighter UAV" you'll see lots of info on them.

4. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I don't believe we are quite there yet for pilotless fighter aircraft, and there really isn't a need for an air to air drone. For years some of the old F106's and F-4 phantoms down at Tyndall AFB were remotely piloted for target practice, yet there were control issues on some (i believe they use older F16/15 models as drones now) and there was always a chase plane in case they had to remotely detonate.

5. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    the more I think of this ,I think he means air-to-air dogfighting,

6. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    In 1971 at Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Lab (JHU/APL) we initially called them RPVs - Remotely Piloted Vehicles. We were the first to create them and my boss and mentor invented the electrostatic autopilot as well

http://diydrones.com/m/profile?screenName=34hkde2jp1ejy

Fun times, declassified now of course

Sent via itty bitty electrons

7. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Maybe in 2035...

8. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    Sooner 😏

Sent via itty bitty electrons

9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Dogfighting drones are unnecessary. Other UAVs already do many of the things a fighter will do. Some things better, others not so much. The time is already here though.

Ciao!

Hannibal

10. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    The last Fighter Ace that got his kills while airborne has already been born.

11. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    ...and has probably already retired (barring a large scale conflict against Iran, North Korea, or the like).

12. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
  13. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Ritchie and Cunnigham would be the last two pilots with DeBellevue WSO. A couple of 3-kill guys (both retired) around from Desert Storm and Kosovo.

14. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Only two new Aces came out of the VN war. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, the first ace, and Steve "Cinco" Ritchie, the last ace.

Many would debate the other three "Aces" but as far as I'm concerned there were only two.

Ciao!

Hannibal

p.s. Your 328 looks stunning!

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Will- Then you would be wrong. Most of those kills were made with radar guided Sparrows. No lock-on, no guidance.

16. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    That is true, but does not change anything. If you care to actually delve into what occurred in the air during each of those engagements, who made the decisions, and who put the aircraft in a position such that the missiles could get a solution, you might understand my thinking. Yours is not wrong, it just reflects a different understanding of the same reality. There were WSOs who never even knew what their pilot was firing at until they saw the target explode. You can always decide what you want to continue ultimately respecting.

I'm very biased as S.R. is a wonderful friend, and one of the greatest people I've ever had the honor to know. I do not profess to know his views on the subject, but as a fighter pilot, I sure as hell know mine! As for me and my children, who all have the greatest aces from all our wars, from every service, and every country indelibly etched in their memory, they have their own answers and have always been prepared to defend them with sound arguments.

Ciao!

Hannibal

17. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Thank you.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Will- Disagree completely and I believe Steve would too, especially considering the WSOs he was lucky enough to have in his back seat. Why don't you ask him?

The official USAF source for air to air kills is the Air Force Historical Research Agency at Maxwell AFB near Montgomery, AL. They list two USAF pilots and three USAF WSOs as aces during VietNam. The F-4C and F-4D did not have a gun, so air to air kills were definitely a two man affair. Incidentally, all USAF two seat fighters were dual control, so the GIB was part copilot and part everything else.

But the official source has spoken, so neither your nor my opinion counts for anything.

19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    I totally hear you, my friend. And I agree that in most cases the details you consider are valid regarding the close teamwork required to accomplish these missions, and any fighter mission, for that matter. I also know exactly what the official AF position is...I spent four years reciting it wrote when I was a cadet. I've since learned to arrive at my own conclusions.

Regarding Cinco's views, I know what they are, and we have discussed it. It's just not for me to profess them in any way.

I actually do think your opinion counts. I just happen to think mine does too, though it's different than yours and the AFs.

Ciao!

Hannibal

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Will- That causes me to lose a whole lot of respect for Steve. I have known a lot of aces over the years, all the way from Ray Brooks to Robin Olds, and they never bad-mouthed their wingmen or crewmates.

21. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    You're forgetting Maverick and Iceman!

22. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    #22 Hannibal308, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    He hasn't either...I didn't say that. He's never said anything bad about anyone so please don't read that into what I'm saying. I have my opinions and those are the only ones I'm voicing. Sorry if I confused the issue. I respect all these guys, WSO or pilot. I'll just shut up now...

Utmost respect,

Hannibal

23. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
  24. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Great article!

The folks who flew in VN are a great part of our flying heritage and deserve more recognition than our country affords them...that goes for all our VN vets, actually.

Ciao!

Hannibal