Rotarway Helicopters | FerrariChat

Rotarway Helicopters

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by WJGESQ, Nov 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Anyone here flown , built or operated a Rotarway Helicopter?

2. Kipper

Kipper Karting

May 1, 2010
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kipper
    Probably not
    Most have crashed and died

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

If you do a search... spell Rotorway correctly. Only one 'a'.

4. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Hope your grammar teaching position brings you many, many Ferraris.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #5 Wade, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  6. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Well, I am feeling so blessed and informed. If crusing the web looking or typos or grammatical errors is paying dividends for you and keeping a Ferrari in the garage, let alone a chopper, I won't argue with you.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Bots! And you're making it easy for them. :D

8. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Yes. The assembly is very straight forward if you follow the plans. Don't get creative the plans are spot on. The aircraft is only as good as the person putting it together. I've been around quite a few and seen different approaches to assembly that made me say WTF many, many times.

As for flight characteristics it is twitchy to fly but no more so than a R22. I'd even go out on a limb and say it is a bit more stable than a R22 in most modes of flight. There is no governor like in the R22 so pilot workload is a bit more but not difficult. The autos are super smooth and easy which you'll appreciate.

If you're thinking of getting one look for a Talon that somebody got bored or frustrated of assembling. These are fine enough aircraft but I'm a Robinson man through and through and would encourage anyone looking at a two place heli to look for an R22 thats close to being run out.

9. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    I like the 300Cs and have time in Hillers. But 300s are pricey.

I had heard that you do not have to do the mandatory Robinson rebuild if they are not used for commercial purposes. Not sure if that's true.

If so, an R22 can be bought reasonably as they get age and time on them. Seems like a local R44 owner was really pissed about blade delamination. Not sure if that applies to the R22.

10. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
  11. EdATP

EdATP Rookie

Dec 10, 2014
    Definitely do your homework on the Rotorway. I am not a fan (no pun intended).

If the R22 is in your budget, then I recommend going that route. I started on a R22, then moved to the R44 before going Bell. It has been 15 years since I had the 22, but it was a good ship. Plus, if you get one after the blades have been changed to the aluminum ones, then you don't have that issue to deal with.

I looked at a 300 before I went with the R22, but it is soooo slow.

12. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  13. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    I've got about half an hour in one of the R162. Do NOT get one of the early examples of the Rotorway, like the Scorpion, etc.

Learn a lot about the rotor drive system, clutches(or lack thereof) and the type of drive it has. There's been a fair amount of changes over the years.

The R162 handles fine for a light heli in normal weather. Note that this is a very low mass rotor disk so if something goes wrong, you need to have your hand on the collective and dump it very fast. Also, as I learned, don't forget the counterweight on the opposing skid if you are solo.

14. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    did you by chance find this out the hard way on a ship that was purchased in Az. then trailered to Tx?

15. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    No, but I heard about that. It also had the collective arm adjusted wrong. Exciting!

16. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    If we're talking about the same ship I'd be surprised if the collective was wrong. Homer Bell helped my friend on the final rigging and I spent quite a bit of time in it. It flew great and performed as it should have. I don't know what happened once it was in the new owners possession other than forgetting to move the weight but was happy to hear both occupants got out ok. Do you know if the ship was ever rebuilt?

17. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #17 godabitibi, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    I've also been interrested by the Rotorway since a little while. I've talked to the Canadian dealer and he has some for sale at very good prices. He also told me to make sure to inspect the ship properly for proper building. I think a properly built used exemple will be the way to go for me if I buy one. Cheaper at the end and ready to fly.
    Have you Watch the serie of video on youtube from a UK TV show who is building one? A lot of work and for this reason I'm not sure I would see the finish product by myself.

Here is the link in case you haven't see it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN8N3Gc17Q8

18. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #18 godabitibi, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had my first flight in a Rotorway yesterday. I was sincerely impressed. Hard winds and gusty and it flew very well. It was a 2012 Talon A 600 very well built and a very safe pilot.

There are a lot of horror stories about the RW but when properly built and maintained I've been told the're good ship. Keep in mind some owners are just stupids.

BTW Docmirror the RW blades are around 44 lbs compared to the R22 at 22 lbs which makes reaction time much longer on the RW because of inertia force. The RW are known for very good autorotation qualities.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Wow the paint looks awesome!

20. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
  21. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    So this is where you've been hiding out? Very cool.

Sent via itty bitty electrons

22. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    #22 Vonbarron, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Cool, get more pics. What is it, 90,162 or ?

I'm very close to buy one now. I have two that I need to decide between. Should go to inspect them with an expert very soon. Both 162F with around 500hrs. I flew in one of the two about a month ago.

Are you a member of ROG?

24. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    It's a ex90, I signed up for rog but have not verified my ownership yet.

25. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I found my bird yesterday. I verbally comitted to buy so if everything goes as it should it will be mine.
    A 2008 162F with less than 100hrs TT. Finished and registered in 2011 so it is fairly new. Very nicely built and babied by it's actual original owner builder. 74 years old that can't renew his license.