Russian Mig-31 and F-16 near miss | FerrariChat

Russian Mig-31 and F-16 near miss

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by ndpendant, Dec 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    LiveLeak.com - Russian Fighter Jet in Near Miss with NATO F-16

Published on Dec 1, 2014The
    Norwegian Armed Forces on Sunday released a video of a Russian fighter jet flying uncomfortably close to a Norwegian F-16, highlighting the potential collision risks involved when intercepting Russian aircraft on behalf of NATO. Video: Norwegian Armed Forces

The Russian jet is clearly the one doing the "intersepting"!

According to Norway’s armed forces, the video shows a Russian MiG-31 (Mach 3.2) suddenly cut in front of one of two Norwegian aircraft sent up by NATO to intercept Russian aircraft in international airspace north off Norway. “What the hell,” says the Norwegian F-16 (Mach 2) pilot in the video, as
    he dodges the MiG-31 passing him at a distance estimated to be closer than 20 meters (65 feet).

Read more at LiveLeak.com - Russian Fighter Jet in Near Miss with NATO F-16

LiveLeak.com - Russian Fighter Jet in Near Miss with NATO F-16

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Paul- Quote from the article is wrong. MiG-31 cannot do anywhere near mach 3.2.

3. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    The f-16 was flying at .66 Mach (2/3rd's the speed of sound).

4. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I just took the article as printed, sorry for the errors (not mine). I guess if its 420mph or 35mph, 2 planes that big shouldnt be 60 feet from each other in my opinion. For those in the know, is this a common thing when planes go up to find each other in these situations? I know it happens a lot more than we hear, are there this many close encounters??
    Nd

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Paul- Usually only when one side is trying to be confrontational. Flying formation 60' from another aircraft in level flight is very easy. When maneuvering and not in briefed formation together, that is too close.

I knew that was not your mistake. The general press knows little about aircraft, especially Russian aircraft, and their info frequently comes from questionable sources.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I believe the MiG-25 was rated at Mach 3.2, though many doubt that it could actually fly quite that fast. Although the MiG-31 is based on the 25, I believe its rated top speed is believed to be around Mach 2.8, still faster than most of its contemporaries.

(Some have said that the F-15 is capable of Mach 2.8, but to my knowledge that has never been confirmed or proven.)

7. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    Both -25 and -31 are rated at M2.83... Both can exceeded it if neccessary as the top speed is limited primarily due to loss of stability at higher Mach numbers. Recce -25 has been clocked at over M3.0 several times over Sinai in the early 70s, while they were running from Israeli SAM and Phantoms.
    -25 has considerably better high altitude performance, -31 switched to turbofans for better fuel economy and low altitude performance(one of it's design goals was interception of cruise missiles and steatlh(y) aircraft).

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Heating is always the issue on aluminum airframe aircraft flying mach 2 or faster. The MiG-25 had steel leading edges to allow it to fly for short periods above mach 2.5. F-111Fs could easily reach mach 2.8, but the total temperature light and 300 seconds until doom clock always illuminated. Have seen that myself at mach 2.55 in an F-111D on a functional check flight out of Cannon AFB. Structural damage occurs if you exceed that 300 seconds. To stay for any period of time above mach 2.5 requires thermal protection systems or higher temperature (usually titanium) airframes or significant parts of the leading edges of the airframe. The SR-71 family has had the only airframe able to sustain mach 3+ velocities.

Amazingly enough, fuel flow at very high machs and high altitude is not excessive. Low altitude in an F-111 in max AB will see fuel flows up to 120,000 lbs/hr. At FL 500, it is less than half that.

9. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Was curious how often things like this occur, id guess a lot, but with all of the radar, sensors etc, does a pilot get surprised that the mig was there or that he was that close.. that fast? Id think its hard to surprise an F16 now a days.
    Nd

10. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Is there a true sense of that speed when youre going that fast or does it only occur with acceleration to that high of a speed? That's got to be an awesome ass dyno feeling hitting full ABs in anything..

11. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It's possible the closing speed was mach 3 and it was misinterpreted by the media.

12. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013

MiG-25 has a stainless steel airframe with some aluminium and titanium parts... It can cruise at Mach 2.4 without any limits, Mach 2.65, IIRC, is limited to 15 minutes, any higher than that is 5 mins tops.
    There was a project called MiG-25M that had more powerful engines and more titanium in the airframe that had a design top speed of Mach 3.5, but the switch from high and fast flying bombers to low level flying killed it... -31was developed as it had much better performance at lower altitudes.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If you had a stainless steel airframe, there is no reason to go to titanium except for weight.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    What about the XB-70?

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- I would have to look to see about the XB-70 and XF-108, latter of which never flew. Forgot about them.