Falling asleep | FerrariChat

Falling asleep

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rcallahan, Dec 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Who here has fallen asleep while at the controls, and for how long? :)

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Only long enough to sober up

3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    heard of a guy that routinely set the auto pilot then took a nap. you can guess how that eventually ended.

4. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Me too. Hearing his tail number would wake him up.

5. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    center is willing to chitchat / break radio silence for those late cross country trips, just have them check in with you frequently and chat to keep from dozing off... generally they are not busy either and need to stay awake as well

6. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    There was one here not so long ago.. ended up going into controlled airspace while asleep! Got grounded for his troubles..

The subsequent report said "Tiredness, illness and country and western music" were to blame lol..

7. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    I can not remember all the times (in a 3 man crew) I've fallen asleep. there was the one time when all 3 of us AND 2 jump seaters were all asleep crossing the Atlantic. :)

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I would fall asleep going north from Saudi Arabia to Iraq during Desert Storm while my young pilot was wide awake and wide eyed. Coming back south, I would be wide awake after dropping and guiding the precision guided munitions and he would fall asleep. Crew coordination. I would wake him up for the landing.

9. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    From one of my instructors at Beeville, TX

"Thou shalt not sleep in a single seat jet over the ocean."

Bill

PS You'll wake up with that first chug of the engine from fuel starvation :)

10. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    This is a hard thread to comment on. On the 747, the airplane will wake you up if you fall asleep. First up is a silent EICAS message saying, PILOT RESPONSE. I believe that shows up about 20 minutes after no activity. About 3 minutes later you get a few sounds to go with it. Then if there's still no response, it'll give you all it's got.

So Boeing's aware pilots sleep on long haul flights.....

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Reminds me of a Howard Hughes story. He was flying a Connie solo from LA. to NY. After leaving LA he put the airplane on auto pilot and attended to some complicated business problems. After a while when he was working on his papers he noticed something whiz by the airplane. It was a peak full of rocks, the Rockies. He had set the auto pilot at an altitude far below the height of the mountains into which he was traveling. He reset the AP and continued his work. This was related to me by a Boeing test pilot who flew with Hughes when he was test flying the -80 prior to purchasing 707's for TWA. The rest of this story is as bizarre as the Connie incident. Hughes wife, Jean Simmons, was also on board.

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    On diesel locomotives, there is a button that the engineer has to push, when prompted by an audible signal, at regular intervals, to prove to the machine that he is awake and alert. If he doesn't hit the button within a prescribed number of seconds, the locomotive will automatically come to a halt. It looks like what Lou is describing is similar to that. Maybe all aircraft should be required to have such a system.

13. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    A dead mans switch. Some are levers that have to be moved back and forth.
    Aircraft? You want the engines to stop if the pilot falls asleep?

14. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Never flown the 400 :( but sometimes a short nap before landing is a good thing.

15. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech

I don't know about sleep, that would make me step outside the airplane ...:)

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    No, but maybe a loud horn should go off if the pilot doesn't do something at certain intervals.

Or maybe all aircraft need an automatic inflatable autopilot like the one in "Airplane!" :D

17. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    That's a 'clacker" that goes off when you run out of fuel and the aircraft does an inverted roll at MMO toward the land or sea. :)

18. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wait, Howard Hughes was married to the Kiss lead singer? I didn't even know he was gay!!,😜😜😜

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    This was the real Jeanne Simmons way before the one you are talking about. Very clever. The one of whom I speak was a very pretty lady.

20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Are you guys thinking of Jean Peters? She was married to Hughes. Regardless, Jean Simmons, the British actress, was an absolute fox back in the day!...T

21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Wasn't that the purpose of the Twin Cessna fuel system? With all those tanks, you were bound to run one dry eventually, and the negative Gs would wake you up.

22. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    It was Jean Peters, my slipping clutch again. Both these ladies were beautiful and i was simply dazzled for a moment.

23. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I don't blame ya, Bob! I'm just glad someone else on F-chat likes the lovely ladies from Hollywood's Golden Age!...T