So. What do we know about the "Aurora" spyplane? | FerrariChat

So. What do we know about the "Aurora" spyplane?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by NYC Fred, Dec 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    'Aurora' spy plane that travels SIX TIMES the speed of sound blamed for mysterious booms | Daily Mail Online

<<THE AURORA RUMOURS
    Aurora is rumoured to be a top secret aircraft that has been in development since 1989.
    It could be a successor to the Mach 3.35 Lockheed Martin SR-71 Blackbird craft that was retired in 1998.
    By comparison, extreme reports claim the Aurora could hit up to Mach 11.8.
    These claims originated in Aviation Week & Space Technology magazine, which ran an article in 1989 about a a mysterious entry in the 1985 US budget.
    The entry said $445 million was attributed to 'black aircraft production' under the name Aurora.
    These reports did not reference a single craft, instead they discussed a series of planes.
    Other reports suggest the Aurora programme kicked off at Lockheed Martin's Skunkworks in 1987.
    The firm was said to be looking into replacing its SR-71 Blackbird.
    In November 2013, Lockheed Martin announced it was developing for its SR-72 spy plane.
    It said the plane can accelerate up to Mach 6, or 4,567mph (7,349km/h) - three times faster than Concorde. >>

Vaporware?

I SO wanna believe this thing is real...LOL

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I remember hearing about the "Aurora" during the late 80's. The rumor afterwards was "there's a reason why they moved the F-117 out of Area 51".

3. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I would say that it's not a functioning aircraft, but considering that the stealth blackhawk is still mostly an unknown I'm not sure what's really out there.

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    If the Aurora is real, then the SR-72 and all the recent scramjet X-planes are a smokescreen.

Regards,

Art S.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    We've been hearing about this plane for a very long time. I even remember a model company building a kit of the concept. That was along time ago. If anything, I think that plane would have come to light by now. 30 years is a long time to keep somthing top secret and so technologically advanced. At the time it must have been 50 years ahead of anything else to keep it secret for this long.

6. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I would disagree because the military develops technologies in parallel.

7. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    With satellites, its hard to see any value to such a plane. Of course, consider our govt spending habits and history of pissing away tax dollars on unnecessary items, I would suppose its damn foolish to rule it out.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds like you do not know much about orbital mechanics. Satellites are not always, or even usually, where you want them when you want them.

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yep, that's very true; I remember the Gulf War in 1991; the SR-71 has just been retired and sent to the mothballs; field intelligence was relying on satellites only. General Norman Schwartzkopf was getting more and more desesperate every day that he failed to have the "on the spot" intelligence he needed and said one day: "please give me back SR-71 coverage anytime!"

Rgds

10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    There was a mysterious boom at night in Huntsville Alabama a few days ago. The Redstone Arsenal told local residents that they were exploding old munitions, but it seems weird to do that at night.

Perhaps it was a supersonic plane instead? :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

11. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    In addition to what Taz said, the bad guys know when the satellites are going to be overhead and don't put there stuff out where it can be seen when they are. Satellites aren't worthless, but if you know what you are doing you can make them pretty much worthless.

12. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    That's why they have the X-37.

13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Kelly Johnson passed in Dec 1990 and so did the Aurora. Which is the reason why we have been having only marginal success with scramjet x-planes for the last couple decades. At least that is my theory.

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The U-2s flying out of Taif provided nearly all the intelligence Stormin' Norman needed. We did shorten the life of one of our birds (satellites) by moving it into an orbit that gave better coverage of Southwest Asia.

15. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

We also had portable systems in the field in that did well, the U2's were just a piece of multi service/agencyintel..
    Those with Aurora/platform knowledge, have it...and more likely not at liberty to discuss...

16. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    To me, it's simply staggering that we allow our ruling elite to spend 30 billion on a black budget without any explanation.

17. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    The bad news is that it is more likely that the spend exceeds $30B.

18. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Generally speaking IMO the bang for the buck can be much greater in these black programs than those that aren't. Plus for those involved it can be a lot of fun.

19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    30 billion can buy you A LOT of fun I'll bet..especially when the money is free!!

20. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    News flash. Unfortunately, it ain't "free." :-((

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I know..but they spend it like it is unfortunately.

22. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Well stated.

As and long as black budget means secret---the value or lack thereof is not known.

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Just think. The USA military blew 150 billion on ONE now cancelled military project. That is more then the entire russian military budget, at 119 billion.

24. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Conflict with a near-peer adversary will also result in the loss of some satellites.

25. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    What cancelled project is this?