Boston to Narita Japan flight | FerrariChat

Boston to Narita Japan flight

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tim1137, Dec 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'll be travelling from Boston to Narita Japan soon, this is by far the longest flight I've ever been on. 14 hours I think, what do you do to pass the time on a flight? I personally do not like flying at all, to the point where it is almost a phobia. I'll be taking some pills to knock the edge off, but what do you do to pass the time on such a long flight?

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I like to listen to podcasts, and read. And sleep, for sure.

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hope you have a good seat. I would get up every couple hrs and find some space near an exit door/galley and do some stretching.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    On my 9-hour Atlanta to London flight, I watched two movies (with a nap in between) and had two meals served to me, and this was in coach class! There was enough to keep me entertained.....

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Tim - my wife used to be the same, and then I got her a set of Bose noise-cancelling head phones, loaded her iPad with all her favorite tunes, games, etc. - and she's a much happier camper on long flights. Of course, booze and flying first class helps too! :) In fact, we've gotten to the point that we fly less often, but when we do, we go first/coach. It gets you there ready to tackle biz/vacation…T

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    YES! by all means get up and walk or move around to keep the circulation going in your legs. I know of a good book that you could read.

7. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Noise cancelling headphones are a great idea, I never though about that! I have Pandora radio on my phone I could listen to,, and an endless number of games haha.

8. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Honestly, there really isn't much you can do that will make a huge difference.

Earlier this year my daughter and I did Houston-Beijing which was just over 15 hours. The first 8 hours or so passed fast enough. The last 4 hours seem like 20. :)

There was this little Chinese lady in the aisle seat on our row. She was probably 60 or so. She slept the entire 15 hours, except for maybe 20 minutes refilling her water bottle and drinking. She was so small that she would put her tray table down and put her legs on it, indian style. Lol.

9. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Here is something that works for me. Get on the plane after staying up all night. You will be so tired that you will probably sleep most the flight even if you usually don't typically sleep well on planes. Although staying all night may not be the most comfortable thing to do- would argue it is more comfortable than being bored out of your mind in an airplane.

Also, I have found that by doing this I adjust to the new time zone much faster. Especially in cases where the flight arrives sometime in the AM of the destination time zone.

10. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    I bring an ipad and watch movies most the flight. Better than movies is a TV series you haven't seen but want to. A few games on the ipad can be fun too. Maybe you'll get into Candy Crush! But the important part for a flight that long is to make sure everything is fully charged. ipad is good for 8 - 10 hrs. Phone?

Anyways, that's what I do and I'm flying the plane.

11. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Your a pilot? Of commercial planes?

12. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    As an alternative to Galt's advice, I would wake up 1 hour earlier than normal starting 4-6 days before leaving for Tokyo, then the day of the flight only get ~3 hours of sleep. Then right before boarding the noontime flight out of O'Hare I'd pop 3mg of Melatonin (buy at Walgreens. "Natural" sleep aid) then drift off to sleep soon after takeoff and get 5-6 hours of solid, restful sleep.
    After waking read a book, watch a movie, eat, read a magazine etc for the rest of the 7-8 hour flight. Noise cancelling earphones are a great
    luxury.
    Land ~3PM local time, walk around the area I was staying (usually Yokohama, so Chinatown was the place to be), eat a nice dinner, fight to stay awake until ~11PM and then take another Melatonin.
    Wake up ~5AM and be SO much fresher than colleagues who had no strategy for the massive time difference. They'd be passing out all through the day and awake all night.
    The second night usually take 1 more Melatonin, then for the rest of the week I was pretty much on Japan time.
    Coming back and re-adjusting to US time was another story, but if you'll be there for more than 2 or 3 days and the goal is to make the most of the time over there (and why wouldn't it be?) this strategy can't be beat as far as I know.
    BTW: I always had a window seat so could get fairly comfortable with a pillow against the wall (and one in my lap to rest my arms and a book), and would typically get up once to use the bathroom and stretch, but there was one time I didn't leave my seat once through the whole flight. Did some seated stretching several times but didn't have to use the bathroom.

13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If you are not in first/business, then at least upgrade to economy plus (or whatever it is called) if available. Makes a huge difference at relatively small $.

What airplane type are you on?

14. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Are you flying JAL and the 787?

15. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Can you pick up Pandora on a plane?

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  17. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Noise cancellation headphones are a must! Light music and noise cancelling will help you sleep over plenty of noises in the cabin.

Charge everything you can to the max so that you can play games, music, watch movies, etc... (plane may have Wifi)

Galt and Kurt nailed the other one. Staying up late the night before or reducing sleep may help ensure you sleep. Granted this has backfired on me twice when I was doing 4 hour flights to vacation destinations. Arrive in Mexico on about 2 hours of sleep but couldn't sleep on the plane due to excitement.

Lou is freight!

18. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    You would need Wifi.

19. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Fixed it for you Tom, reminding me of the Wolf of Wall Street skit flying to Switzerland.

20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks, Tamas, for the assist - I knew I could count on you buddy. :)

I tried the "get drunk enough to sleep" techniques once on a flight to Rio. Long story, short - I arrived in Rio w/ a hangover and sleep deprived. Fortunately, a couple of caipirinhas in a bar in Copacabana with some Irish sailors and I was right as rain.

Tim - if you're plane has wifi, perhaps try and start a McLaren vs. Porsche vs. Ferrari thread on F-chat before you leave and then kick back and watch the fun? That should be good for multiple hours of entertainment! ;-)

T

21. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hahaha reminds me of my Chicago - Toronto - Vancouver flight (layover in Toronto). I left in the afternoon arriving I think around 6pm to Toronto. Flight was meant to be leaving at around 10pm if I recall. I went to the lounge in Toronto that served food (wasn't great but who cares) and booze!

It happened to be a leaf game and I stuck to scotch to avoid the seal issue on my upcoming 3-4 hour flight. Long story short I ended up in the lounge drinking double scotch/coke with guys I met who watching the Maple Leaf game on the nice tv and comfy chairs. Flight got delayed which meant MORE time in the lounge :D.

Lounge closes (10:30-11) so we proceed to the bar to enjoy another drink. Plane is still delayed we end up taking off around 12:30am. I happened to be coach and got free drinks so why not crack a beer.

Once it was all said and done I got to my Vancouver hotel room around 2-3am (local time, which is around 5am Toronto time) and woke up for work with quite the hangover.

Yay for flying.

22. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I usually catchup on a year's worth of movies never get the chance to see.. also sleep well.. heck just last month on 13 hour leg I didn't even need to go to the loo after orange juice, coffee and wine with dinner.

23. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer

Yeah, I fly commercially, but I fly freight now. We do some Deadheading (crewmember traveling as a passenger) and that's when I do all that I mentioned above. Don't worry, the guys up front know what they're doing. Relax and enjoy the ride. You could always look out the window to kill some time. It's funny how pretty much no one looks outside anymore. They may as well make planes without windows.

24. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I always try and get a Window seat but during an overnight/over the ocean you don't see much ;)

25. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    After flying through the night, it seems reassuring to see the first light in the eastern sky. When I first saw the Irish coast, I felt a little like Charles Lindbergh.....