The "Buff" turns 60 | FerrariChat

The "Buff" turns 60

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by normv, Dec 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    #1 normv, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    And to think that the last one built was built 52 years ago!

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    And to think, that I worked on it in 1951 and saw the first flight in April, 1952.

4. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    How secret was the landing gear function? Was it known to everyone who worked on the project?

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I don't remember it as being secret, it was wide open there on the mock up for anyone to see and there didn't seem to be much "secrecy" inside the building. It was an incredibly simple mechanism, all four struts, trucks, and retraction system were identical. The struts were vertical and mounted on a trunnion that was slanted at a 45 deg. angle to the vertical in the inboard/outboard axis (y)? The left gear went forward and inboard the right gear went aft and inboard. Manufactured by A.O.Smith, forgings by Wyman-Gordon. Huge pieces of machinery mounted on bulkheads of mostly forged aluminum, again Wyman-Gordon. The USAF foolishly had the photos of the first take off airbrushed to remove the landing gear to show it (them) retracted. The whole world saw photos of it taxiing.
    It was always amazing to see the wings start to lift and flex upward long before the airplane was airborne.

6. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I wonder if it will ever see combat action again?

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think the idea of re-engining the fleet, which has come and gone several times, is alive again.

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Talk about getting your monies worth. Both the B-52 and KC-135. Both over 50 years old and going strong. I'm not sure about the B-52 but I know while the USAF were buying the 135 they bought 82 jets per year for around 10 years. Mr Parks, when you guys were working on these how long did you think they would be in service?

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    James- They are updating the avionics again with Mil Standard 1760 buses and carriage equipment to allow for a really large number of Small Diameter Bombs. So probably.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I bought 1/200 scale model kits years ago of both the B-52G and 747-100. I was going to switch engines just for the fun of it.

The 747 would have had the eight J57s (or, if you will, JT3s) with 707-style sound suppressors and a 1959-vintage Pan Am scheme, and the B-52 would have wound up with the four JT9s (F105s in military service) and the natural-metal and white undersides scheme used during the Cold War days.

When I retire, I may just do this crazy engine switch. At least the 52 will look something like what a re-engined "BUFF" would look like now.

11. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #11 zygomatic, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One of these
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Having seen the B-17 and B-29 last only a short time, the feeling was that the B-52 would be the same. The B-47 didn't last long so nobody thought anything different for the B-52 at the time. The fatigue in the B-52's wing became a concern pretty soon after they changed the mission to low level penetration BUT the engineers soon had some fixes that increased the life span and this continued year after year and kept the bird going. They changed skin alloys and some internal structure and it keeps on chugging along. I would never have imagined that it would out live me and I can see that it just might. Having worked in tool design and spent much time on the floor, I can still remember a lot of the manufacturing sequences and structural features of the airplane. It was an interesting design that broke away from the contemporary techniques.Strong but flexible.