Another Year | FerrariChat

Another Year

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, Dec 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Few are so fortunate to be given so many years and so many chances to mess them up. Perhaps that shows some ineptness in following the master plan or some fancy footwork to dodge the inevitable. Anyway, one must give thanks for being allowed to hang around for such a long time and best of all to be able to hear and see so many wonderful things in life. Then, there are the people who now lead the cavalcade that stretches back almost to infinity, at least in my eyes. And that is the best gift of all. How many old goats can visit with hundreds (I think) of friends every day and be so invigorated to see the next day to "trade lies and tell stories?"
    Nowhere in the world is there a flock of birds of such a mixed breeds that happily fly together like those of this formation.
    I'm thankful that I can tag along.

YOUALL HAVE A NICE CHRISTMAS NOW, YA' HEAR!

2. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thank you Bob and all the best to you and your family in the Christmas season..

I will very much enjoy reading your book in my leisure time!

I hope you have another wonderful year ahead of you and let me re-iterate I would be honoured to show you around Sydney should you make it down under in 2015 or beyond!

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You too, Bob!

4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ... I'm enjoying your book on these long evenings!

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Merry Christmas, Bob. Looking forward to reading your book this week.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, Terry. I hope that you won't be disappointed after having to wait. If the words get boring there are a lot of pictures so that should make you happy.I haven't heard any negative comments about the book so I hope that is a good sign. Have a great Christmas.

7. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Bob, did you fly out of Albert Whitted? I flew there from Orlando the other day and made a video of part of my return trip:

http://youtu.be/BIvF1NstXmg

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I flew out of Sarasota-Bradenton and Johnny Lowe's but I did land at Albert Whitted and Peter O'knight several times.

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Nice video that brought back some memories, thanks. I had a B-24 flight into Orlando in 1945 when it was a small town and the airport there was Pinecastle Air Base, out in the boonies with nothing around it but a few pine trees that stretched into the distance. Now, it's surrounded by everybody in the world and Pinecastle is now Orlando International.

10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks for the comment about the book. I have had some complaints that it got too much into airplane gobbledegook and the reader wasn't able to follow the terminology. I was worried about that and I would appreciate ANY CRITICISM about the book. I am already working on a companion booklet to hopefully explain things that some people might not know, like aileron and spoiler.
    Re the video. I have seen it before but always enjoy watching it to see how hard the pilots are working and also how the flight controls are working...all very sweaty.

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I will pass along my feedback once I finish the book. So far I'm only up to the part about your ride in a B-24. You have led an interesting life! I think the amount of tech explanation (and in some places, absence thereof where you can assume some knowledge on the part of the reader) is about right (at least to this point in the book). The tech doesn't get in the way of the storytelling, which is the most important point. FWIW, Tom Clancy novels also used a lot of tech or military geeky terms.