747 lands with 1 gear hung up... | FerrariChat

747 lands with 1 gear hung up...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by FERRARI-TECH, Dec 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #2 Wade, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Those tall ones are training wheels. The airplane guys just can't get by without them.

4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #4 Wade, Dec 29, 2014
  5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    That is almost as bad as losing an engine on a B-52 :D

I'm glad the pilots were able to land safely without any further issues.

Regards,

Art S.

6. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Curious question, if the 747 were to be built today clean sheet would it end up with 777 style landing gear? Has technology progressed that far?

777-300 max landing weight 554,000 lb

747-800 max landing weight 688,000 lb

I guess 134,000 lb extra would at least need something in the center ala A340?

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    In 1970 the runways and ramps weren't as thick as they are now, I think. I remember a lot of talk and concern about weight distribution, truck pitch, axel spacing,etc. Look at the A380, same configuration almost. The 777 went to a six wheel truck to alleviate load concentration that would have cracked runways and ramps due to the convergence point being within the concrete.

8. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Great pic of the landing gear. I'm guessing the Captain would have liked to have another run at that landing....pretty good hit there and a bounce. 747's are hard to bounce! Maybe I'm seeing things or am too critical. Assuming he dumped fuel to maximum landing weight. I don't believe passenger 400s land near max gross landing weight very often. The 400 actually lands better at heavy weights, but it's different than light weights.

In the 747 classic, if 1 main gear didn't come down, you'd retract the other matching gear and just land on a set on mains (body or wings). If you land on just the body gear, you have to be careful and not really taxi as you can tilt over. If landing on the wing gear, I believe tilting back onto the tail is possible if you aren't careful as the wing gear sit further forward than the body gear. On the 400 and -8, you land on whatever you can get down.

Max landing weight on the -8 cargo plane is 763,000 if I remember correctly. I've been off work too long! The passenger -8 may be different.

9. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    I saw the bounce too, didn't say anything as you know what they say about living in glass houses ;)

Looks like they burned of fuel for a while,
    Virgin Atlantic (VS) #43 ? 29-Dec-2014 ? EGKK / LGW - KLAS ? FlightAware

Pictures showing the gear problem popping up on the web now

BBC News - Virgin Atlantic jet lands safely with landing gear problem

I messaged my mate back in the UK who is a capt for virgin on the 747 to see if it was him as he pilots that route quite often. Will let you know any "inside scoop" if I get it.

10. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Yeah, the only reason I know they are hard to bounce as I've done it before. They can't all be smooth, otherwise it wouldn't be fun.

Looks like the right wing gear. Not sure I really agree with the whole, "try and shake it free" idea.

Glad all went well. Let us know what you find out.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I just remembered a load leveling system that was to be installed on the 747 main gear to account for the crown in the runways. The body gear was decompressed slightly so that the weight of the airplane was equally disbursed on all the wheels. Lou, do you have this on your airplane? Perhaps it has been deleted by now.

12. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
  13. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Yeah, that was a pretty hard landing. It would have been sorta funny if the landing shook it free! The captain would never stop hearing about it! Yeah, I believe the reasoning for landing with only the body or only the wing gear was to avoid the tilt.

Not sure about a leveling system. Can't remember one. Assuming the good wing gears oleo partially extended strut is causing the tilt, otherwise it should be level.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #14 Bob Parks, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    No support on the right side and a lot of wing , engines, and fuel with nothing to hold it level. I have never heard of this happening to a 747.

15. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    A tell for a hard landing from that view is the runway turnoff lights on the nose gear. They illuminate when the main gear untilts (weight on wheels). You'll notice these turn on, then go out, then turn on again, hence the bounce.

16. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello, not knowing anything, Im curious as to why not continue to your final destination. Youre going to land one way or another anyway, so why not not burn that fuel off on the way. Im sure Las Vegas can handle the repairs and emergency also. That way they may figure out a better plan of action with the added time. Unless the MLG wouldn't retract. Again I know nothing. other than what I saw on the video

17. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello, I guess I answered my own question as apprently the main gear would not go up either. Having the gear down wouldnt be fun for an extended time, Im sure.

18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    From what I saw on the TV news tonight, the right gear was stopped in transit with it half way stowed and the doors still open. A dirty configuration. This is highly unusual for this airplane. Somebody left a wrench in something.

19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #19 Wade, Dec 29, 2014
  20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    When I look at that airplane in that condition all I can think is , "What a wounded but gritty and strong bird that is. And we did one helluva job when we designed and built it." I'm working on a painting of the B-17G, "Mr. Lucky" that was cut in half by another airplane. My bunkmate, tail gunner Joe Frank Jones, rode it down for 13000 feet and survived the impact. The legacy lives on.

21. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Re the bounce on landing - could this have been intentional to try, one last time, to free the gear?

22. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    That's what the Captain will be telling everyone.

23. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Those Virgin 747s are ancient... Clearly they will be maintained by the book, but this will surely speed up their retirement.

24. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Spectacular angle...

25. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Snagged this from another forum...... looks like it was a hydraulic (system #4) complete failure,

"signs of a system 4 hydraulic failure.

1. Ops/Eng says come home.
    2. Alternate extend wing gear & outboard flaps unfortunately right side wing gear gets fouled on the door.
    3. Firm due to no R/H outboard elevator leaving approx 3/4 pitch authority. Bounce due to speed brake not armed as per the QRH due to no deployment of the ground spoilers (sys #4) on touch down which would cause a pitch up if they were armed due to remaining spoilers (sys 2&3).

Manual braking using system 1 for the rollout (antiskid-yes, autobrake - no)"

Lou as our resident 747 expert does this sound correct ??