how hard is this to land like this? | FerrariChat

how hard is this to land like this?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by ndpendant, Jan 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
  2. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I think just about every plane has a demonstrated cross-wind capability. I landed in Iceland one time with a 40 knot cross-wind. fortunately for me, the runway was 200 feet wide. When you have a cross wind, you correct for it, that why the plane looks like it's sideways.

Art

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    In this case the pilot had the wind on his port side. To stay lined up on the centerline of the runway he had to feed in A LOT OF LEFT RUDDER to keep the wind from blowing the airplane off to his right. All I could think of when watching the hard contact with the runway is that it was also pretty hard to design the oleo strut and torque links to hold up to the harsh torque applied to the truck or axels.

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    You could really see the torque as the RH gear touched down. Single axle more forgiving than a multi-axle truck in this situation. In addition to the gear itself drift landing designs a lot of support structure.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Paul- Two techniques, crab and wing low or a combination of the two. On some aircraft, like most airliners, wing low does not work too well close to the ground because of clearance concerns with the engine nacelles. On modern fighters, wing low works very well combined with crab, kicking both out at touchdown. On the airliners, as you can see, they land in a crabbed condition and straighten once touched down. On lighter aircraft, you have to hold your crosswind corrections as you roll out or risk getting blown off the runway.

So, it depends, but basically use the flight controls so your flight path lines up with the runway centerline. In heavy high altitude crosswind conditions, aircraft also fly crabbed to keep the aircraft on the centerline of the desired ground track. The slower the airspeed for a given cross wind, the more crab required.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was working near the guys designing the 777 landing gear and there were untold numbers of things that they had to design for but the worst was the torsion applied to the trucks and oleos in a cross-wind landing. One of the interesting concerns was keeping the front wheels on the runway from tire bounce. Worse than a 4 wheel truck.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Narita airport in Japan is famous for crosswind landings, thanks to some very active Japanese videographers. Do a search on YouTube for "Narita crosswind landing" and you'll see dozens of these.

8. EdATP

EdATP Rookie

Dec 10, 2014
    Crosswind landings take practice to master but are very satisfying. There are two techniques: 1) Sideslip 2) Crab.

For the sideslip you bank the plane into the wind to correct for drift, then line up the nose of the plane with the runway centerline by using opposite rudder to correct for track.

With the crab you simply fly the plane in a direction that results in the plane traveling towards the runway (although it will not be pointed at the runway). Then around the time of the flare, you use rudder to line up the nose as much as possible with the runway. Usually when you are very low to the ground and starting your flare, the crosswind will be reduced due to surface friction of the Earth, trees, buildings, etc, so the last minute cross control is smaller than on the sideslip.

The sideslip LOOKS very elegant and it is taught to a new pilots, but airlines use the crab technique. The reason is not that engine nacelles will hit the ground (there is enough clearance even with flat tires), it is because of the uncomfortable forces placed on the passengers. With the crab, you can be at a 45 degree angle, but if you didn't look out the window, you would never know. You are just sitting in your seat waiting to land. With that same wind, during the sideslip the cross control will result in you being pushed outward toward one side of the airplane. Like going around a turn in a car, you get pushed to the outside of the turn. When doing this for 5 or 10 minutes on final approach, passengers will get sick. Then their vomit will be pushed toward the side of the airplane too!

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    You will also see the trucks and wheels briefly twisting sideways amid lots of smoke and then straightening out as they should. This always reminds me of a new engineer that came into our group that asked what the "knee action scissors" where for on the landing gear strut. We had a lot of sessions at lunch time after that.

10. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    In the 747, you will hit the inboard engine nacelle at about 6 degrees of bank. 6 isn't a lot. So side slipping is out of the question. We fly a crab until just before touchdown. I believe the Boeing manual suggests landing in a crab. Anyways, the tricky part is taking the crab out at the right time. Too early, and you start to drift downwind. Too late (touchdown) feels awful as the direction of motion isn't the same as the planes heading. Inevitably, one wing wants to raise when this happens.

As I usually only do about 5 landings a month, I don't get to practice them often. I can easily go a full year between serious crosswind landings. They can be interesting, especially if it's gusty and turbulent. Narita gets this way on SW winds. Also in a bigger aircraft, the cockpit and landing gear are two vary different locations on the centerline during a crosswind. You always want to keep the cockpit on the upwind side of the runway.

11. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The C-5A used to have a way to rotate the landing gear to account for crab angles so the gear would be lined up with the runway on crosswind landings. This minimized side loading of the gear when landing in a crab. Since the landing gear rotates 90 degrees to be retracted anyway, this feature was probably not hard to build in. The landing gear was already complex enough. As a side note, when the Russians tried copying it for the AN-124 they just gave up and made the gear retract directly into the fuselage, eating up a bunch of cargo space.

The A models don't have this capability anymore, and they chose not to build this capability into the B model. I'm not sure why it was removed from the A and not incorporated in the B. It probably, like a lot of things on the jet, broke a lot.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tim- The BUFFs have crabbed main landing gear as well.

13. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Now that you mention it, that a lot of total sense. The upwind tip gear (or whatever its called) would probably snap off like a twig if you slipped it in.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yes, I remember watching the first B-52 landing at Boeing Field with the crabbed landing gear. The crabbed angle of the gear pretty much matched the opposite angle of the rudder displacement. It almost made you sick to see this behemoth coming in crooked to the runway. The advent of the canted gear led to the decreased height of the vertical tail. In those days a lot of early flight tests were run out of Boeing Field and there were some very exciting incidents there in the 50's.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Here's a B-52 demonstrating that on landing at Fairford. It's a bit strange to see an aircraft still crabbed even after touchdown!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94AcSHpcZbI[/ame]

16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

B-52 is such an awesome machine!

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    BUFFs have some interesting flight characteristics. Only aircraft I have seen that climbs like a banshee with the nose down.

18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    If you do try a slip in the B-52 , you do it very carefully. Crabbing is bad enough. The outrigger gear doesn't touch the runway until the wings have quit lifting. They are delicate and when the airplane is refueled on the ground they cannot "top it off" because the weight outboard would be too much for the outriggers and the airplane couldn't lift it anyway. "Topping off" is done after take off from a tanker in the air.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    my most rewarding landings have been tailwheel sideslip into one wheel landing roll out. small planes most cases sideslip the best to keep straight.

20. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    The Cessna 195 could also be had with a swiveling gear. Didn't help much, it was still a hassle to land in an x wind.

21. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I prefer to slip than crab, but I do forewarn my passengers about the "uncomfortable feeling."

22. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #22 Bob Parks, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    I used the slip most of the time in straight wing aircraft but in a swept wing airplane you can invite a roll into the downwind wing and you have to be alert to stop it if it occurs. This has killed some people in the past.