Cirrus Ditching 253 Miles from Maui.... | FerrariChat

Cirrus Ditching 253 Miles from Maui....

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by NYC Fred, Jan 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCQNepF1g5c

<<The whole affair was coordinated via the amazing rescuers from USCG Air Station Barbers Point frp what is probably one of their HC-130H Hercules, which is where this FLIR imagery would have come from. Because of the long distances involved with rescues from stricken aircraft and ships on their way to and from Hawaii, which can occur well outside the Coast Guard's MH-65C Dolphin or HH-60H Jayhawk's operating radius, quick coordination with nearby vessels is key. In this case the Holland America cruise liner Veendam used one of its lifeboat-tenders to fantastic effect, plucking the pilot from their one-man life raft after only a very short time bobbing in the Pacific Ocean.>>>>

Lucky guy...

Watch The Rescue Of A Pilot Who Ditched At Sea Using A Plane Parachute*

2. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    "The only time you can have too much fuel is when your on fire." Unknown

3. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Why?

What was the nature of the emergency? How did the CG happen to get the whole thing recorded?

The plane appeared to still be flying when the engine stopped and parachute deployed.

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The Cirrus guy knew he wasn't going to make it a few hours before he actually ran out of gas. Supposedly, his aux fuel transfer failed.

6. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Perhaps,&#8230; Failed to transfer enough fuel into the tank prior to takeoff!

Glad the pilot is safe. Not sure of the wisdom of flying a single engine over that distance of open water...

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

The CAPS releases a small trailing drogue chute to slow the plane down before the large chute opens, that's when the plane is falling vertically.

When slow enough, the main chute opens and the plane decends flat to 'landing'.

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Makes sense, thanks.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    many single engine planes ferried over the ocean long distances, but don't know many private pilots that just do it for fun. I think many pilots are overly paranoid about oceans when there are forests, mountains, and lakes over land. :D

10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    This was a new aircraft from the factory being delivered. It's possible that he ran into unforecast headwinds, but unlikely. Airplanes are delivered like this all the time, if not every day at least every week.

11. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Interesting to watch that go down.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Initial reaction when the drogue chute popped and she went vertical had to require an underwear change. Same thing on the F-111 capsule that did the same thing after ejection, Until the main chute reefed, it looked like a dive bomb pass with a great view of where you were going.

I was going to say bad flight planning until someone said he had aux tanks that did not feed. Seems like you would want to burn those first so you could turn around if they did not transfer, like external tanks.

13. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Does anyone know how many C22s have successfully deployed chutes and landed safely? Years ago I talked to a trainer who said they were gimmicky, didn't generally work in the real world, and required very specific things to happen to deploy properly. Apparently it isn't simply a matter of pulling the handle...

14. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Hard to imagine that the aux fuel system wasn't well tested before heading across the Pacific.

15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian

Im assuming it was, or should have been. Im also assuming this had some serious fuel bladders installed in the back seats. I used to do runs between Honolulu and Christmas Island in a Lear 36. One day there was a Piper AG on the ramp getting fuel in Christmas. The second we locked eyes, he knew I thought he was crazy. No auto pilot, taking leaks in Gatorade bottles and wearing a life suit that made him look like Gumby. He schooled me on how many small planes were delivered this way. He was enroute to Australia.

I dont know what was bigger, his balls or the tumor that was obviously growing in his head.

The stretch from the West Coast to Hawaii is big....really big. I always max out my fuel load and could care less if I land with big reserves. But if you are going to go down, this is the place to do it. School says you should be picked up within 24 hours max. First sign of trouble, start coordinating with ground personnel. They can give you a heading and distance of the closest ship. On board, uncontrollable fire is the exception......you have an average of 20 minutes before the plane is consumed or you are incapacitated IIRC.

16. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    News this morning quotes Cirrus as saying 103 lives have been saved. With the probability of multiple passengers/plane, don't think that necessarily means 103 planes.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    they have been successful overall. that is coming from Columbia 400 owner who makes fun of Cirrus pilots for needing a chute to recover from spin or dead stick.

18. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Plus, you would think with over 2 hours advanced notice he wasn't going to reach Hawaii, he'd find a way to fix the aux tank transfer problem.

Assuming he had radio communications, there must be enough MacGyver types out there to help with an ad hoc solution.

If we could get Apollo 13 home, you'd think we could get 20 gallons of fuel from an aux tank into a wing tank (especially since they were already connected by some plumbing).

19. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #19 FarmerDave, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think the difference is that if you survive the crash over land in reasonable health, you still might be stranded but it's easier to orient yourself and survive off the land until rescue... in the ocean, you're hoping for something to hang on to and maybe a friend like Wilson to keep you company as you panic. :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Is the aux tank inside the cockpit?

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I know when the Columbia 400 did a flight around the North Pole he removed back seats and aux tanks were heavy duty bags.

22. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'm just shocked at how quickly the aircraft became a submarine - would have thought it a whole lot more buoyant than that.

23. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Lindbergh had to switch tanks on his flight to Paris in 1927. He had three in the wings and one big tank in front of him but he didn't have any valve problems. They worked every time when he reached forward and turned the handles to close one and open the other.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    aux tank a lot different, but with the wing tanks on Columbia 400 you are constantly switching tanks running 10 gallons at time so never more than 5 gallon difference. Even LOP at 16 GPH that's switching every 40 minutes.

25. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm sure he did everything he could. I can't imagine there was anyone he could talk to on the radio who knew any more about his fuel system than he did.

This wasn't his first rodeo... or Cirrus flight across the pacific.

https://www.youtube.com/user/243leu