777-300 Wing | FerrariChat

777-300 Wing

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by BubblesQuah, Feb 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Reading the chat about the wing in Lou's thread reminded me of some video I shot last year on my trip to China.

I have some video of takeoff, cruise and landing. All interesting to me, there is a lot of stuff going on with that wing.

Here is the takeoff roll out of PEK - totally packed 777-300. Seemed to take forever. :D

What is the small surface in the center of the wing? It seems to slowly rise as we pick up speed, and then at some speed it drops. After we are airborne, and the plane is making a right turn, it looks to me like it is resisting that turn. What it is doing during the initial part of the roll, and when it shifts down while still on the ground, etc?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0VIXw_kWHI[/ame]

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I think that you are referring to the spoilers and perhaps the inboard aileron. When the spoiler and aileron rise , it depresses the wing to make a turn.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Typically, on a Boeing wing trailing edge, going inboard to outboard is: flap, aileron, flap, aileron. That has been true since the 707.

4. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    So the two ailerons move independent of each other? I don't see the outboard aileron moving, but then again I guess being that far out on the wing it doesn't have to move much to have some effect.

Any idea why the inboard aileron moves as it does during different phases of the takeoff roll?

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Inboard aileron is often referred to as a flaperon. It can serve dual purpose of acting as a flap and aileron. Hence when the flaps are deployed the flaperon also as a drooped configuration. During cruise most of roll control is via the outbd spoilers. Outbd aileron is locked out during cruise.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #6 Bob Parks, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    Addition
    At low speeds the inboard aileron works in conjunction with the outboard aileron. So, if the pilot inputs a bit of aileron on take off, both of them will move. At high speeds (cruise), the outboard aileron is locked out and only the inboard aileron works. This has to be done because the outboard aileron is on the thinner part of the wing and would twist the wing when it was moved, acting as a tab instead of an aileron and would produce opposite reaction. At lower speeds, like landing, the spoilers act along with all of the ailerons when they move in an upward direction. This produces powerful roll control when it's needed the most. The spoilers do exactly what their name implies, it spoils the flow over the wing and is used at high speed. They don't move very much then but they do produce the desired effect. On landing when the flaps are down all of the spoilers pop up to increase drag and to kill the lift. The ailerons move together but in opposite directions, one wing up, the other wing down to produce a rolling motion and that produces a turn. Near the ground they will keep the wing tips off the runway.
    Hope this helped a bit.

7. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Thanks for the replies.

So do you think that movement between 0 and 35 seconds in my video has no specific intent? Maybe just the pilot getting a grip on the yoke awaiting time to rotate?

8. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Here is another of the same flight, a couple of hours out of PEK, starting to get a little bumpy. I like the "flapping" wing. You can see in the last part of the video (the moving map display) that is wasn't all that bumpy. Argh, still more than 11 hours to go.. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SAVoDF2oj4]Air China 777-300 PEK-IAH April 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

9. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    And my last clip - landing at IAH. Everything is moving, first time I could see the outboard aileron move. It is interesting to see the wing basically come apart after touchdown. Doesn't seem like there should be that many "pieces". :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-k7ISHHycU[/ame]

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Your comment about "so many pieces" reminds me of the 727 trailing edge with triple slotted flaps, spoilers, and ailerons. I was giving stour of the mock up to airline customer pilots and the flaps and slats were deployed on the mock up, leaving only the spar box (main wing structure)intact. One of the tour members after looking at everything hanging out commented, " You'll NEVER get all that S***t to work at the same time!" Later on there was a statement that "it was the only airplane that assembled its wing after take off". I didn't mention that the inboard (high speed) aileron also operated as a flap on landing. At one point on the 727 design they were considering drooping both ailerons with the flaps but the mixing mechanism was very complex and heavy.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I was once sitting behind the wing in a 767 coming in to land at PHL on a very gusty day with a crosswind. Those inboard ailerons were flapping like crazy as the pilot fought to keep the wings as level as he could!

12. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    #12 BubblesQuah, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Had this on a Cessna 206 (Robertson STOL kit). You end up losing a bit of aileron travel, but it does work well adding low speed lift.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, I didn't know that. The 206 is one of my favorites.

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    That flapping wing is what makes your ride smoother.
    Early heavies didn't have that kind of flex.

16. Tim Wells

Tim Wells Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2009
    Dallas, GA
    Full Name:
    Tim Wells
    I used to rig all that stuff up at Paine field on a lot of those Fedex 727's. Still have all my special made tools for doing mid flap cable changes and making all that turnbuckle adjusting easier. Should toss it all I guess, not likely to work a 27 again.

17. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Isn't it just amazing? It seriously puts me in awe every time I fly watching the wings and the plane work.

18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #18 Bob Parks, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tim, I'm going to make an educated guess that the cable of which you speak was the one slaved to wing structure that rotated the bell crank that deployed the aft flap. Is my old head still working? Haven't got a cable to crank it up but i think that it still tries. I recently was going through the drafting and illustrating tools and equipment that I used 55 years ago and realized that no one would recognize some of it now and would find no way to use it even if they knew how. What do I do with it? My last cutaway, the B-29, soon to be released with annotations.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Don't toss 'em. There is a 727 mechanic somewhere in the world that would love to have them.

20. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    Been meaning to say for a long time that it is good to see someone still salute Mark over here on F'chat. That motor is almost in the car!!

John

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Hi John,
    The last time I checked on Mark's progress, which was a couple of years ago, it appeared that he had stopped work on the project for good.

Could you P.M. me with info and link possibly?
    Thanks, DJ