Ooops | FerrariChat

Ooops

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by MarkPDX, Feb 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    #1 MarkPDX, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hope they didn't hit the wing!

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That's never fun!

I saw some pictures of it from another angle-- it's a 90 degree turn, and the nosewheel is right on the centerline of the taxiway...

4. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    #4 BubblesQuah, Feb 2, 2015
    Here is that picture.

Says registered to AMEX.

Ooops.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Looks like the wingtip just stayed off the ground. Pretty lucky if so.

6. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Dumb question possibly: was it an undercarriage failure? or..?

7. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Nah, they just dropped one of the landing gears off the pavement into gravel and it sunk in pretty good.

8. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Looks like the right main wheel went off into the gravel next to the paved taxiway.

Since the nosewheel is on the center line, then it appears the fault is with the designer of the taxiway.

Probably the taxiway is wide enough for a small Cessna to make that turn but not for a much longer Gulfstream jet.

They should either make the pavement wider or the turn more gradual.

9. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Oh, I see now.. so just cut the corner too tight? seems like "oops" indeed if so! Too small for jets and took wrong taxiway?

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Well, I wouldn't want to be taxiing a G on that taxiway, but... it's partially a question of knowing how to taxi an airplane like that. You can't keep the nosewheel on the centerline-- you have to think of where the main gear is, and when you have a turn like that, you have to go well past the centerline before you start your turn.

It also helps to know where the gear legs are in relation to the top of the wing, so the guy in the right seat can be watching out his window, and give some guidance to the guy taxiing.

11. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm sure that's not the only G in and out of Scottsdale yesterday.

12. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #12 LouB747, Feb 2, 2015
    I'm sure the fault will lie 100% with the PIC.

As mentioned, in the larger aircraft you have to account for the distance between the cockpit and main landing gear. It's known as, "judgemental oversteer". As a rule, we oversteer all turns. For the 747-8, we are required to oversteer at some intersections. See attached chart of LAX.

Also, here's a video I made that shows a pretty good cockpit angle of oversteer turning onto a runway. It's a video about snakes, a hobby of mine, but the beginning has a little flying.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5JmEdh4n-zc[/ame]

13. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Do you have control of any of the aft (inboard?) main landing gear bogies in the 747? It seems like they might drag in turns otherwise, although they may not be far enough aft from the forward set of bogies require a castering system.

14. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Yeah, the aft inboard (body gear) do turn in the opposite direction of the nose wheel when it turns past a certain degree. It's possible to dispatch the aircraft with the body gear steering inop and it does turn differently. Sharp turns are possible (although you can feel the tires scrubbing) and the radius of the turn increases. This is from memory, so it could be wrong. But on the 747-400 the minimum turn radius is 153 ft with body gear steering and 170 without.

15. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I ended up watching the entire bit about your snake exploits, really cool. When do you sleep?!?! Nice work, Lou!

16. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Well that didnt last long. The first production 650 to be damaged in the field.

One of the pitfalls in GA is constantly flying into unfamiliar airports. They were probably dropping off folks for the Super Bowl. I was in simulator training at Fightsafety all morning so it must of just happened yesterday. Usually when things like this happen, it makes the rounds at the training facility quite quickly.

IIRC the nosewheel steering is not MEL-able on large cabin Gulfstreams. I once did an emergency landing with only differential braking.....not fun.

17. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Thanks for watching! It's sort of a crazy hobby. Yeah, not much sleep on that trip! Tokyo - Osaka - Singapore is about a 10 1/2 hr duty day (night) and then it's straight to the hotel and straight into the jungle.

Thanks again for watching. That was my first attempt at filming the experience.

18. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Is that a 650? I don't know my G Jets all that well, but it looks a little short. I park the Eagle at JFI Jets in LGB next to the Gulfstream ramp. See quite a few 650's there. Assuming you we're at flight safety (LGB) right next door.

19. MARK1992

MARK1992 Formula 3

Feb 7, 2010
    Do you come to Singapore often? I'd love to keep a snake, but it's against the law.

20. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #20 LouB747, Feb 3, 2015
    I usually get to Singapore once a month for a 24 hr stay. I love Singapore. I'll be back March 1st for 48 hrs. Hoping to see and film one of the 2 cobra species living there. The king cobra is extremely rare, but the spitting cobra is apparently common. I haven't seen either yet.

Blue coral snakes are one of my favorite finds. They are extremely venomous but not aggressive. They are also called, "the 100 step snake" as that's how far they say you'll get after being bit.

I had a close call with this one....

Yeah, crazy hobby!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Hv9esE18I&sns=em[/ame]

21. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    my first thought on seeing it was 'the corner is designed and built too tight'

22. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    I believe it is a 450. If they were dropping off people for the Superbowl, they were about a day late. ;)

23. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    Couple of windows short for a 650.

John

24. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    As a GIV,V,550 driver....I hang my head in shame. Its a 450, yall are correct.

Lou, yes I was at FSI in LGB. Teh company negotiated a year training contract with Gulfstream if we let them do the pre buy on my aircraft. So I did my 6 month check over the weekend. Back in May or June for recurrent.

25. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    We had 4 different crews do this in Dickinson ND within a 2 month period. The airport wasn't really suitable for larger aircraft, but they were all just following the taxiway centerline. That only guaranties wingtip clearance unless the -9 diagram states otherwise.