Lauda Air 767 crash now on YouTube: | FerrariChat

Lauda Air 767 crash now on YouTube:

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Feb 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The episode of "Mayday" dealing with the crash of Lauda Air flight 004 in Thailand in 1991 is now available on YouTube.

The program features fairly extensive commentary by Niki Lauda himself, who took an active part in the original investigation.

I believe that it remains the only crash of a 767 where a component of the aircraft was at fault.

(Ignore the photo below; it has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual program.)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgQISxBpGMw[/ame]

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    This was an interesting account and it reminded me of the Braniff Alines 707 that lost three engines during a training flight to simulate an engine failure on climb out. It was specified by the FAA to be flown at a specific altitude that was quite low. The trainee pilot lost control and the airplane crashed. The test altitude was close to what it would have been on take off and climb out but allowed no room for a mistake. The TR test conducted by Boeing was done at a comfortable lower altitude but failed to simulate what could happen at a higher cruise altitude. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you're going to test something, it better be close to actual conditions. I better shut up because the actual conditions right now are that I should hang it up and retire for the evening.