Just Aircraft and Alain de Cadenet! | FerrariChat

Just Aircraft and Alain de Cadenet!

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Feb 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #1 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So I get a call from Julie, telling me that Alain de Cadenet Alain de Cadenet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia will be at Just Aircraft flying his new SuperStol. Alain has lived an extraordinary life and is known for his racing exploits, commentary and film work exemplified in Victory by Design. We are from Clemson, and the factory is just 25 miles or so in Walhalla Just Aircraft Manufactures Highlander & SuperStol Light Sport Planes. But of course, with him being a racer this is the most powerful one built to date with 180hp.

Man was it fun to be a fly on the wall. We also have an amazing neighbor, and since this is Ferrarichat.....I invited Clemson resident Terry Clark, who has owned 23 significant Ferraris (at least three California Spiders, 330 GTS, 3 or 4 250 SWB, many 275s and many more race cars like the Gulf Mirage, 908, 910, etc) and the conversation just flew. Racing stories, war stories, the truth behind the Spitfire buzz, "the dreadful old Aztec that he flew aboard with Graham Hill", and about flying in general.

Alain was very gracious to share with us, and the guys at Just Aircraft are just mega. Good guys, smart, friendly, and just plain (or plane) fun-Troy Woodland and Gary Schmitt.

If passing through the area, you should check out the factory. You are not far if you land at KCEU. I know they would be happy to take you for a ride.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Fantastic, thanks for posting.. would love to get into these types of planes as well as seaplanes... still only part way through my initial licence though.. m.u.s.t .. b.e. .. p.a.t.i.e.n.t..

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
  4. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I really miss that guy on tv. Loved all of his car specials and shows.

5. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Cool...I'll have to ask my Dad if he's familiar with these planes. He's thinking about getting the similar Aviat Husky for fun flying around. Aviat Aircraft: The Husky A-1C

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I have flown a Husky and they are wonderful, practical, capable, and available. They probably aren't as " off the chart" as the Just is but they are a great little airplane. I couldn't believe how much they felt like my old L-3.

7. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  8. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    He just wants small and fun now. It seems to fit this bill. He'll be 69 this month. Passed his medical a few months ago. Brother and parents only grand child, live on the Island. 45 minute ferry boat ride. Very short hop for the Husky. He was thinking small trawler type boat, but too much work at my parents age.

9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I don't think the Husky is LSA, and I think they are all tamden seating, and not side by side like the Just. Not that he needs LSA, but I'd be willing to bet the Just has much better short field performance. Most of the Just have 100 rotax although de Cadenet's plane is 180hp and I was told the engines are the same price. With the big wheels and only 100 hp they still cruise over 90. But the landings and takeoffs just wow. I'm looking at the field in this video now from the window, and I know one day we will have one and fly in and out of here. Well, I guess I had better learn to fly first and get out of the Holiday Inn Express....but I bet Julie can do it! I think it can land and take off in about 100 feet in the right circumstances. She is a cautious pilot, and I still have to talk her into landing at Mountain Air more often. Sure beats the drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fatFSRC3Suc

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Depending on his needs, he might also be interested in an American Champion Scout. Not quite as extreme as the other two, but still very capable.

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Personally, I think LSA has more disadvantages than advantages, but if you need an LSA (usually because you don't have a medical), then I guess that's what you're stuck with.

Pretty soon, I think the medical exemption is going to be extended to all sub-6,000 pound airplanes, and at that point there will be very little reason for the LSA to exist.

12. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Understood, smaller, slower, less gross weight capacity. But I really think Just is a hit in this niche market. Neat little airplane for two with gear. They delivere to CA, but I think it is a 3 or 4 day trip in the best of weather. When I asked what stands out most on those trips, he said the amount of wildlife. You can travel at a few hundred feet above the trees the whole trip. "What about towers, etc"? We have all the modern day electronics plus we are always VFR.

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Sounds exactly like our flights from Seattle to Merced and roaming around in the North Cascades. You can see plenty of deer,elk, bears, and once in a while, hikers. While flying an airplane like the Just in or through the mountains one must make certain that he or she isn't caught in the down drafts and rotors that live on the lee side if a ridge. I have known it myself and two of my friends crashed , one fatally, while in the grip of mountain air currents. On the flip side, or I should say " plus side", soaring on the weather side of a ridge in a sailplane can be wonderfully enjoyable and a life saving tool in any other type of airplane when flying in or near the mountains.

14. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I would be so busy keeping my eyes scanning for towers & power lines (and now wind machines!) I doubt I could enjoy the wildlife!!

15. Tim Wells

Tim Wells Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2009
    Dallas, GA
    Full Name:
    Tim Wells
    I rode my motorcycle to the factory and took a ride with Troy and made several landings and I can honestly say that I can't think of a plane on earth with better short field capabilities than the Super STOL version. They are well designed, well made and do everything he says they'll do. They are slow but that's what they're made for. It's a 90 mph machine in cruise but it'll land in the 20's.