German wings A320 down in French Alps | FerrariChat

German wings A320 down in French Alps

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ney, Mar 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    #1 Ney, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    Not much known at the moment....148 on board...flight from Barcelona Spain to Düsseldorf germany.

Supposedly put out "7700" on transponder before slow decent into the mountains.

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Hearing a lot of mixed reports here: everything from distress right after takeoff (and they flew another 80 minutes) to a sudden loss from radar. Weird one for sure, then again most commercial plane crashes are.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Very sad - I fly them alot. I know a pilot there and we workout together at my gym. He was I think flying to LHR and BCN today. I hope that he is ok.

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Official french source say most probably there is no survivor; the weather was fine today on the site.

Rgds

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The route is puzzling, since a direct route from Barcelona to Dusseldorf would go nowhere near the Alps.

6. f_399

f_399 Karting

Oct 11, 2009
    Looks like it was descending but not gaining speed while doing it.

Was it trying to pick up speed?

7. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Jim, this was my first thought when I saw the news on TV earlier; Digne is far to the east of a flight path from Barcelona to Dusseldorf. My quick guess is that the early distress signal suggests an in-flight hijacking by suicide terrorists.

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Seth,

As far as we know at the minute (it still can change) there were in fact no distress signals at all: it is the controller who decided to declare the flight as "having problems", but the flight itself did not emit any transmission at all, contrary to what was believed at first.
    I know you can read french, so have a quick look yourself (see the link here enclosed); sorry for the others who can't read it, but basically it says that, at the minute, there is no explanation whatsoever...

Ce que l'on sait du crash de l'Airbus A320

Rgds

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    One of the flight recorder boxes ("black boxes") retrieved at the minute.

Rgds

10. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    RIP to everyone....especially hard as it seems like a lot of high school kids on board..

Saw a few pictures on the crash site...looks like it hit very very hard...total distruction, thousands of very small pieces over a larger area.

Another site had a radar track showed a high but consistent rate of descent, but with fluctuating ground speeds.. Lots of theories from hypoxia to hijacking... hope the boxes are recovered and readable...

11. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Loss of pressurization or plane failed to pressurize. Thats the only thing I can think of.

RIP to all the families.

12. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Officials are indicating the AC was serviced just yesterday...

CW

13. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

#14 DF1, Mar 24, 2015
    This will be looked at very very closely.....

From newsite DW.de - 19:15 - Thomas Winkelmann said the plane went into a steep eight-minute descent before hitting the ground. He told reporters that an initial count indicated there were 67 German citizens on board.
    http://www.dw.de/live-germanwings-crash-in-alps/a-18336127

14. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I agree - here's the flightradar tracking:

D-AIPX - Germanwings - Aircraft info and flight history - Flightradar24

Does seems a strange direction to take. Wish there was an option to compare this track against a published flight plan.

RIP to all those who were on board and hopefully a swift answer can be determined as to the cause of this crash.

>8^\
    ER

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Were there any "normal" communications? If not, it sounds like the crew had become incapacitated, which would explain the strange flight path and apparent controlled descent into terrain. It could be like the ValuJet crash in the Everglades, but the lack of any distress call is very puzzling.

16. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    This is the most puzzling to me, according to the graph I saw, the speed was relatively the same during the last half of the climb, leveling off and throughout most of the decent.

17. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    News tonight said it was still doing 500mph at the end of the descent.

I am sure that altitude incapacitation is to be suspected - but the question I have there is why the descent if they were on autopilot.

Maybe they initiated the descent to get down into breathable air, but it does not explain why the crew would not have been on oxygen and halted the descent before they flew into the ground (if indeed they realized pressurization was not working and started the descent).

18. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Incident: Lufthansa A321 near Bilbao on Nov 5th 2014, loss of 4000 feet of altitude

Similar problem, but with the Alps in the way not enough time to recover?

http://ad.easa.europa.eu/blob/easa_ad_2014_0266_E.pdf/EAD_2014-0266-E_1

19. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
  20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#21 Tcar, Mar 24, 2015
    They have one of the two black boxes. They have not announced which one (CVR or FDR) yet.

EDIT: Just announced that it was the Flight Data Recorder that has been found so far.

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Usually the recorders are pretty close together; it's a bit strange that one was found so quickly but the other is still missing. (I'll bet the conspiracy theorists will try to make something of that.)

If it was some fault or quirk in the software, the next question will obviously be: could this happen on a Boeing?

22. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    does anybody know if this was the first leg flown by this airplane after its maintenance check out - reported to be the day prior? Would Lufthansa have any of its planes checked out in a Barcelona maintenance shop?

23. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I thought of that and I'm certain that it will be looked at. I have never seen a crash site that was so destructive and disbursed. I can't believe the wide area covered by so much totally destroyed debris. It looks like it has been ground up and sprayed over the area.

24. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Amazing that the FDR box could survive it. It may take a while to get useful readings back.