Star Alliance lounge question | FerrariChat

Star Alliance lounge question

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by kevin956, Apr 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    For all of you international travelers... I'm Star Alliance gold (via United) and looking to take two travel companions into the international Star Alliance lounge at LAX. All three of us will be on the same flight, but not booked on the exact same reservation. I see that standard Star Alliance rules say you can bring one guest, but don't talk about how one can arrange for the second guest. I asked a United customer service person this weekend and they said that standard United lounge rules apply even though it is a shared lounge, so I could go and just buy a normal day pass when I got there under usual United terms.

Does anyone know if that's true? If so, is there anywhere on the internet you can point me as a source of authority? Can you buy a day pass in advance so you don't have to mess with that on site?

Thanks much

2. onocoffee

onocoffee Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Hunt Valley, MD
    Full Name:
    Jay C
    I know it's been a couple of weeks since you posted but I only saw this now.

When you say International Star Alliance Lounge I'm presuming you're talking about the United Club at LAX? If so, the rule is that you can only bring one guest with you into the lounge. After that, it's $50 per person.

If it is the United Club LAX, I don't think it's worth $50 - unless you're planning on staying there a long time.

I suggest you check the thread on United Club Meetups in the Mileage Plus forum to see if any other FT members will be at LAX at the same time and can let your companions in as their guest. Or perhaps just try asking other travelers if they wouldn't mind bringing your companions as a guest. Myself and a couple of other travelers did that for an elderly couple at the UC GUM a few months back when they couldn't get in.

3. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    Thanks. I was talking about the Star Alliance lounge in the international terminal. It isn't unique to United. The United specific lounges are in the regular domestic terminals. I know the rules for the United club and the $50 guest pass, but wasn't sure what rules applied in the shared lounge in the international terminal.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Star Alliance is a bit weird.

You can get into a member's lounge with your card ONLY if you have a boarding pass from a Star Alliance member. Your card by itself will not get you into a lounge.

I had this problem in London.

I had a ticket on Lufthansa (part of SA obviously). My Lufthansa flight was cancelled so they put me on Virgin. Virgin is not SA and in another terminal. So, I went over to that terminal and went up to Swiss air or another one which I forgot -- both SA. I showed them my lifetime United Lounge card.

They asked for my boarding pass. I showed them Virgin and they said I could not go in (both lounges said the same thing). I said I had a Lufthansa flight but it was cancelled. They said "too bad".

So, if you have an SA boarding pass, you and a guest with your card should be able to get into a SA lounge. But if you're flying on another airline other than SA, you're SOL.

5. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Judging by how the bennys have been trimmed back in the lounges......I would rather take the $50 and have a couple good drinks at the airport watering hole.

6. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    Closing the loop on this - at LAX, the lounge is operated by Air New Zealand. If you're entitled to be there, you can buy an additional guest day pass at the door for $60. Opinions will vary on whether the cost is worth it, but at least it appears to be an option (but not widely published or known).

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If you have a Amex Platimum card, try one of their Centurion lounges. If free if you have the platimum card.

Good food, comfortable, wine tasting, good wifi -- compared to the crackers and lousy cheese you get at United, it's amazing.