Lightening Strikes- Two Jets on Approach | FerrariChat

Lightening Strikes- Two Jets on Approach

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Spasso, Apr 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
  2. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    I was on a plane flying from Nashville to Atlanta last year that had 35-40 strikes. They had to ground the plane after to check it out.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Very unusual - when I lived in Seattle, I saw lightning exactly four times in 3 years! I see more than that sometimes in one evening here in Atlanta!

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I know what your saying, Jim. I have lived in several places that breed lightning storms. Florida, the Chesapeake Bay, western plains, and north Idaho. Not much in Seattle. Funny, everyone thinks the end of the world is coming. I grew up with it.

6. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    normally the static wicks should dissipate the difference in potential... atmospherics must have been really loaded at that moment...

would be interesting to see the aircraft skins to see how big the hit was... lightening usually erodes the aluminum at the site of the strike... the photo could also be an illusion of a direct hit... even a static discharge ( being near a lightning strike ) can destroy a lot of electronics as well... '

a full inspection would be appropriate, a lot of damage could be hidden