Turbine Legend Anyone? | FerrariChat

Turbine Legend Anyone?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Hannibal308, Apr 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    #1 Hannibal308, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looking at a possible solo commuting aircraft for 2-500 mile jaunts 3-4 round trips monthly.

Anyone have or fly a Legend? Other suggestions? Speed favored slightly over cost, but not stupidly, I hope.

Thoughts appreciated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Some days now and no-one has commented? sorry, wish I could help but don't know.

Looked it up and looks intriguing format.. dare I say "hot rod"? I like what I saw!

wonder if it has any vices or issues or what the current equivalents are..

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'd look into the Garrett-powered version, personally. It does look like a pretty cool airplane.

Turbine Legend (Garrett) | Innovative Wings Inc

Am I reading correctly that it's not pressurized? That would really cut into it's usefulness, in my opinion.

4. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #4 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    #5 Hannibal308, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    So I think all the original builds were Walter powered. Some builders have done some crazy stuff since and the Garrett powered project in Canada really seems fantastic. 350 knot cruise would make me pretty happy and keep me in familiar territory at least for getting from point A to point B.

Pressurization is nice if flying over 20K or so, but I'm not sure I'd take this plane there anyway. The distances I plan on flying I'll only be airborne 1+30 or so maximum. I just want to get there fast. Get too comfortable and you fall asleep.

Thanks to you all for replying...I'm surprised too that it seems few people know about this plane.

I'm still curious what folks think the best/fastest ride is for one guy for 300-500 miles round trip on different days out and back 3-5 times a month? Does a single-engine turboprop fit the bill?

Here's another question for business flyers...if I use it 100% for business travel, can I write off depreciation and costs?

6. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Juan:

Thanks for the pictures. I think that is a sweet looking airplane. There are two canopy types out there and the one you pictured is the sleeker better looking one!

7. cunim

cunim Rookie

Nov 18, 2010
    I flew one once - the one in the picture as a matter of fact. Bob Russell was kind enough to give me a go when I was considering a Legend. I also looked at a Marchetti SF 260TP.

Nice aircraft and handles very well. Seems to be fairly easy to fly as long as things are going right. However, a number of them have killed their owners. Given there are very few Turbine Legends out there, it is an unfortunately large proportion and I would expect the risk level to be fully equivalent to flying a hot warbird. I think the Legend suits people like Bob Russell and Dave Clinton. These are consummate pilots. Not sure of your aviator chops but I don't consider myself good enough to own one.

For a safer platform have a look at an older Piper Meridian. I had one of those for a few years. I find the formality of flying a certified turbine keeps me honest and on top of training, maintenance and documentation. On the other hand, it does require training, (expensive) maintenance, and documentation.

8. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Neat. I was wondering if that was his plane. Bob also built a FW190 I posted on here a few years ago. The Lancair is an awesome plane and I suppose a value at what I've seen them listed at compared to other turboprops. Fast planes too.

9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    ...yeah I saw that a few are no longer with us. I suspected it was the typical rich guy buys a plane his wallet can handle but which his hands cannot.

...over 3500 hours fast jet, almost all of which is single engine, single seat.

...I have been looking at the Meridian and agreed it seems to be a great platform.

Thanks for the report, that's just the type of info I was looking for to help refine my thinking.

10. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    How much do these cost? No ice protection. Where you gonna get it fixed? Parts? You don't want something like this for business travel. You need something reliable.

If it's home built you'll never be able to sell it. Just buy a Cirrus for 500NM trips.

What's your budget?

11. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    GE now owns Walter, and the GE H80 TP is based on the Walter 601. I expect parts are readily available. There are enough Walter's flying around that maintenance experience should not be an issue.

If its an amateur built aircraft and you buy one then obviously someone was able to sell it.

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Well, for me, pressurization is essential but I guess to each his own...

Personally, for that mission, if you want a single engine turboprop, I'd go with a TBM of some sort. Although, if it's just you, why not get an L-39? I would think it would perform better than any of these kit deals, probably be safer (although that's not saying much), and more fun.

As for the business flying and taxes question, obviously consult a knowledgeable tax professional. However, if it is all for business then yes, you can write everything off.

Keep in mind two things, though: 1) business aircraft use is a red flag which probably will get you audited, and 2) when you get audited, they will want documentation that all of your use REALLY is for business. If it really is all business and you can document that, then you should have no issues.

If some of your flying is actually personal, you can take the percentage of hours flown for business and write off that percentage of the costs, which is a much safer route.

13. cunim

cunim Rookie

Nov 18, 2010
    Sounds like you are good Legend material. I seem to remember the accidents were with reasonably experienced people. Been a while since I looked so please check it out.

I see the TBM mentioned (much better than the Piper) but I assume you want to say in the six figure range. You'd be totally bored with the Meridian but, hey, that can be a good thing. I think you'd also be bored with an L39. The thrust-weight is just not what you were used to. Meanwhile, there's 200 gal/hr blasting through the tail pipe and a safe runway is pretty long. Limits your choice of destination. I really did like that Marchetti turbine, but it has short legs. I think range is about 1.5 hr.

I fly airplanes from 1937 and 1941 now. No, they're not fast and no good for IFR, but they feel fast and freedom is not having to be anywhere on someone else's schedule.

Good luck with the search.

14. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    There's more to the plane than the motor. I've never had a motor break. It's all the other stuff.

15. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    For those wondering about cost for what appears to be a very fine example, though this advert is a couple years old...

https://brian-petersen.squarespace.com

I've looked at the L-39 but discounted it for many of the reasons you mention...fuel wastage, ejection seat maintenance, marginal performance, heavy aircraft for what it does, long runway needs, very expensive maintenance costs.

I'm not averse to getting bored, as with the Meridian. But if I can have fun at the same time as coming and going to work, why not?

I work in three different states and work by the day, 7am to 7am, so currently, with commercial air, I waste a day on either end of my work periods which last from 5-7 days. If I fly myself I can leave for work at 5 pm the evening before and be home by 10am the day I finish. Since I'm not about flying with a talking emergency food source in the back seat, the plane really will be just for me and very, very nearly 100% for business travel. It's nice to know, as I suspected, that costs are deductible as business offsets, at least pro rata based on use.

My budget is 300-600K for now though I'd be happy to spend less.

Your comments and suggestions really are helpful...you all get me looking at different aircraft that get me thinking and doing math again. Thanks!

16. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    If you were to nix the turbo prop idea, my first choice would be a Cessna/Columbia 400. They're well within your price range and can cruise up to 235 KTAS if you want to go up high and burn some gas. Cost of ownership would be ridiculously cheaper than a turbo prop.

Mark

17. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #17 Jason Crandall, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    Cirrus.

I don't know why you'd consider an L39 or this Legend thing. For business travel you need your airplane to work. You need ice protection. $300-$600 will get you an almost new turbo Cirrus or if you really want to get fancy a TurboNormalized Bonanza. I have personally owned each. You can't beat them for the price and mission you quote.

I fly myself over 300 hours a year all over the world. You know what I see parked on every ramp? Cirrus, Bonanza, Pilatus, CJ, Phenom, Bombardier, Gulfstream. Buy one of those for service and parts availability when you're AOG in the middle of nowhere.

18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I actually think, for the budget you quote, a Cirrus or Columbia would be the best choice. For $300-600 you're not going to get a Meridian, you're going to get a converted Mirage, and IMO (for whatever it's worth), I think the conversions are a little dodgy.

You might also look at a Turbo Commander. For $600k you can get a -10 powered 690 (just be careful about the service bulletin compliance), which will give you 300 kts, two engines, pressurization, and fuel burns not too far off of the TBM. Of course, you need to be willing to live with an older airframe, and some on here will scoff at that.

19. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Which ones?

20. cunim

cunim Rookie

Nov 18, 2010
    This discussion is quite interesting in that it demonstrates two types of pilot. Some of us are fully grown up (Jason, you know who you are). You are right, of course. Others never will - grow up, that is. In fairness to Hannibal, there are reasons people still fly taildraggers and warbirds. Fellow up near my area used to do his business travel in a Sea Fury. Even I thought he was strange.

As to why a turbine, for me it justifies itself over a large body of water. If that engine is a PT6, it's just a warmer, fuzzier feeling. I go around the great lakes in piston singles. Thought nothing of going over them in turbines, which also gave me more options with ice. If fuel were cheaper and maintenance were not industrially-priced, I think a lot more of us would opt for turbines. Sadly, though, it's a whole different world of cost. How does a $50K annual sound? $600/hr operating? The fixed gear piston singles are so much more practical for Hannibal's mission. Sigh.

21. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Actually, what it says is that you have to understand the mission, and choose the appropriate airplane for that mission.

If the mission is mostly have fun, and travel a bit on the side when you can, that would indicate one choice. If the mission is reliable transportation, and try to have a little fun doing it, that's a very different mission.

Sometimes one airplane can't do it all. Maybe Hannibal needs a Cirrus or Columbia AND a Pitts.

22. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    This is a pretty legit business schedule. For me, this is ATL to NYC and back every week. Not something I'd want to in anything less than a turbo Cirrus.

23. chopperdr

chopperdr Formula Junior

May 10, 2009
    oceanside/vancouver
    Full Name:
    cal meeker
    Lancair Sentry TP ?

24. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ATL-NYC is a completely different environment than SBA-PHX (wag from Hannibal's profile), and would not require the same equipment to reliably operate 95% (or more) of the time. You would not need to operate in the FL's, nor need hard IFR/icing capability. The southwest is a perfect environment for commuting in a Legend.

25. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    You guys are fantastic. Looking into the cirrus.

The whole idea of being grown up versus not yet grown up is so true. Still, I don't want a stupid airplane from an operating cost point of view. So I'm not invested in the Legend idea though it seemed a good first look for me, being an experienced single seat guy. Southwest is where I work, Nevada, Arizona, California and New Mexico. Occasionally North Dakota but I can still fly commercial there in winter as needed. Regarding special equipment, I must be out of touch because I flew T-38s all over the western half of the U.S. At all times of the year and we never had anything but pitot heat for weather flying. We just flight planned around ice and crap weather. Can't I still do that or has something changed? Heck, I still do fix to fixes every time I fly, so all the fancy colored avionics with dots and lines on them means little to me. Just saying for background.