Cozy Mk IV build in my neighborhood | FerrariChat

Cozy Mk IV build in my neighborhood

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Nurburgringer, Apr 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #1 Nurburgringer, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    well you never know what your neighbors are up to...
    Yesterday morning I took my baby boy out for a stroll around the neighborhood, and as we approach the house 2 down from ours I see their garage door is open... and there's a freaking AIRPLANE inside! Been living here almost 2 years and never saw the door up, so of course I push the stroller up the driveway and end up spending 1 hour chatting with the builder.
    He's been working on it for over 10 years, and plans to fly sometime in 2016.
    Amazing work. Quite a few techniques I use on my RC planes (hot wire foam cutting, fiberglass/resin work, control linkages etc) just on a bigger scale, and of course with much more serious repercussions if the design/work/materials aren't right.

Here's his build page, which hasn't been updated in 6 months but should be soon:
    Cozy Aircraft Project #1037

wiki page: Cozy MK IV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

specs: Mark IV Specifications/Performance

Anyone here have, or ever fly one?
    I love pushers, and this one looks like a mini Beechcraft Starship.

Definitely "cozy" inside! But hey I fit in an Elise and this doesn't look too much smaller.

See on his page that he had the 3-car garage build with an extra 10' depth so the shop is a roomy 30'x32'. He's been parking most of his 3 cars in the driveway for a few years :)

Everything is now primed and the garage ceiling sheetrocked so next is hanging curtains and installing fans for a negative-pressure paint booth.

Already has the 200hp fuel injected Lycoming, next major purchases are the 3-bladed prop (hydraulic adjustable pitch) and glass cockpit.

He's planning on using it to visit family in Chicago and make other cross-country trips.
    Said he's got ~$25k in materials plus ~$30k for the motor already into it and has around $30-$40k to go I think.

I'm still floored such a thing is going on not 100yds from my house. Will be stopping back to check out his progress.

Here's some of the most recent build pics from his website (it's all primed now) and what it will look like when finished:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That will be a fun neighbor to stop in on once in awhile. I've always liked the Cozy planes. A lot of performance for the hp and fuel burn.

3. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    yeah I've got to try not being a pest.... but he's really friendly and talkative so will for sure be on the lookout for his garage door being open again.

It's got to be a great flying experience: responsive, light, racey seating position, nice power. Will try to finagle my way into the passenger seat at some point for sure!