Is there a verdict on the F-22 and F-35? | FerrariChat

Is there a verdict on the F-22 and F-35?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rdefabri, Apr 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    So the F-22 has been used in combat, and I assume the F-35 is imminent. By now, some data has to have been gathered - anyone have the scoop?

I'm not military, nor a pilot, just a fan of both (more specifically military aircraft).

2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The F-35 has issues and is way over budget. The F-22 should have been purchased in greater numbers. They should not drop the A-10, to pay for some of the F-35 program costs. A mission exists for subsonic CAS. The F-35 is not a CAS platform.

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I must have missed this. When/Where?

edit: nevermind, although I don't really count the action against ISIS qualitative combat experience for the F-22.

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Fair enough - that was my terminology.

I know my original post wasn't clear - do we have a sense as to the capabilities of the aircraft, cost to operate, etc.

Also, so much back and forth on which was "better" (understand the applications are different), but was limiting production on the F-22 the right idea?

Always got the impression that the F-22 was superior not only in performance, but that the cost gap between it and the F-35 would not be great enough to put all of our eggs in the F-35.

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The reduced production numbers on the F-22 were a product of air superiority requirements, which at the time the demise of the USSR/Warsaw Pact threat impacted considerably. Lack of a mission, or change of scope because of lack of a mission (air superiority), has thus created a sense of mission overlap between the F-22 and F-35. But suffice to say, the F-35 will never compete with the F-16 legacy as a low-cost multi-mission aircraft produced by the thousands.

6. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    One set of words to describe the ultimate missed opportunity: Block 60 F-16...