Sun & Fun Airshow photos | FerrariChat

Sun & Fun Airshow photos

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by davidgoerndt, Apr 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    #1 davidgoerndt, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks to a friend I was able to attend this year's Sun & Fun airshow. This was my first real airshow so I was a bit unprepared for the size of the venue. My friend entered his 67 Porsche 911S in the car show portion of the event. The number of planes at the show was incredible, most I have never seen in person. The warbirds were a real treat as well as some of the civilian aircraft I got to see up close. The high point was the airshow. My main reason for going was to photograph the airshow as well as the static displays. One thing I was unprepared for was how loud the Thunderbird's planes were. I have not been around military jets for a long time, but the technology has changed from when I saw the Thunderbirds in the early 70's. The planes were almost too fast to capture in photos, but here are a few from Saturday's show.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Sun & Fun is more than your usual airshow, to be sure. I went a number of years ago and wish I could go more often. Your photos are excellent, by the way!

3. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Nice pictures, thanks for taking the time to post them!

4. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    Beat me to it. GREAT photos!!!

F16s for the Thunderbirds make for such great visuals/shows (for me anyways)

F11F-1s or A4s for the Blue angels (perfectly shaped for formations) are iconic as well

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nice, a Warthog! My fave. I reiterate what others have said, David, great pics & thanks for posting...T

6. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Thanks, I shot over 800 images at the show, mostly of the airshow portion. This was a new photo experience for me not knowing what it would take to get good shots. I had my camera set to shoot as fast as it could (about 4-5 frames per sec.), got lots of misses and a few hits. I will post a few more when I get them processed.

7. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Great! Looking forward to seeing more.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Great photos! They really let you get up close to the Raptor...that's awesome. I'm hoping to go to see the Thunderbirds in September in DC along with the Raptor demo. I love the Thunderbirds...my favorite.

9. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
  10. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    David,

That's really spectacular stuff!

11. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Aren't digital cameras great. In the old days if I shot a 36 roll at this type of event I was being extravagant.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

12. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    I too love the Thunderbirds. I'm told they are generally a really cool group of guys, while the Blue Angels tend to a little arrogant and full of themselves. I have no first hand knowledge, but I've heard this from more than one source.

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'll agree with that! In the film days I had to be very careful with my use of the limited number of exposures at my disposal, even if I brought 5 or more rolls of film. And invariably a roll would run out at precisely the worst time. Fortunately my Canon FTb allowed one to change rolls more quickly than most contemporary SLRs.

Now? I'll look down at my camera (a Rebel XTi) and note how many hundreds of images I still have room for!

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was in a few air shows in which the " Blues " were also scheduled. There was always some kind of problem with them where they were some times trying to run things. They never mixed with the "run of the mix crowd" and were off to themselves. Some of the performers referred to them as The Blue A h....s. The Thunderbirds were just the opposite. Read my book.

15. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    I have to agree, digital makes shooting many frames much easier. I had my camera set to the max frames per second it's capable of, 4-5 fps and that was not fast enough for some of the action. 800 frames is on the low side for some shooters, many shoot several thousand frames. I photographed the Thunderbirds back in the mid 70's on film and I think I shot maybe two rolls and had to wait a week to see the results! Yes, I like digital!