Prostate Cancer in Pilots | FerrariChat

Prostate Cancer in Pilots

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Hannibal308, Apr 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Alright. Sorry to be Debbie Downer but we all need to know this.

February 2015 Journal of Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance published this
    Meta-Analysis out of Mayo that did aggregate analysis on 128,000 pilots.

Citation:

Raslau D, Summerfield DT, Abu Dabrh AM, Steinkraus LW, Murad MH. The risk of prostate cancer in pilots: a meta-analysis. Aerosp Med Hum Perform. 2015; 86(2):112–117.

RESULTS: Eight studies with a low risk of bias were included in the meta-analysis. Pilots had an increased risk of developing prostate cancer compared to the general population [RR 2.0; 95% confidence interval (CI), 1.5–2.7]. The analysis was associated with substantial heterogeneity (I2 = 79%). Several subgroups had significantly increased risk, such as African American pilots (RR 10.00; 95% CI, 5.04–19.86) and military pilots (RR 3.30; 95% CI, 2.03–5.39).

It's near and dear to me as I and two of my Air Force Academy roommates, all military pilots, got Dx'd with PCa before the age of 50.

Brought this up for discussion and, more importantly to broaden awareness. This is really important as screening trends are shifting right so that testing is occurring at older ages. In pilots, it needs to shift left. That isn't happening fast enough. Younger men diagnosed with this are far more likely to die from it, and this will get even worse as screening comes later.

2. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    38 CFR 3.309 leaves pilots out with PCa only recognized in association with herbicidal exposure...

Just FYI...