A museum in an airport: | FerrariChat

A museum in an airport:

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, May 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    One reason I always enjoy flying into Milwaukee (MKE) is the great museum located in the terminal. The airport is named for Billy Mitchell, but the museum also shows the history of Milwaukee's airports and of all of the people and companies associated with southeast Wisconsin, such as Dick Bong and Jim Lovell.

And the best part is that it's free!

Mitchell Gallery of Flight: Gen. Mitchell International Airport - Milwaukee, WI

2. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    San Francisco Airport (International Terminal) has a museum, but a substantially large (and I mean HUGE) library of commercial and non-commercial aviation books and periodicals. You have to make an appointment with the librarian in advance to read any of the books/periodicals, but the rest of the museum is open and free.

SFO Museum | http://www.flysfo.com/

At LAX, granted not in a terminal (but has tarmac access) is the Flight Path museum, another awesome museum. Free, and they have a DC-3 you can access as well. usually something interesting parked in front of the museum (everything from an Air Tahiti A340 to an Antonov AN-124 delivering or picking up items from Boeing or SpaceX).

Home | Flight Path - Learning Center & Museum

There's another museum in an airport but at the moment escapes me...

3. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Yeah I miss that about living in and flying in/out of Milwaukee.
    If you're ever driving to/from Chicago you'll see a sign about 15 minutes north of the state border for "Dick Bong Recreation Area", about a 15 minute drive off the highway. They have a small memorial to Major Bong in the info center and also a nice RC airplane field I used to fly from.

Directly on the state border on the IL side is Russell Military Museum. Worth the trip from either Chicago or Milwaukee.
    RMM Exhibits

4. ECHO CHARLIE

ECHO CHARLIE Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    Richmond ,Va. airport has a museum , a SR71 sits out front.

Edward

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I've been to the Russell Museum, but this time I went to the First Division Museum in Cantigny Park in Wheaton, IL. It is probably the best military museum I've ever seen in the U.S......

6. wizzard

wizzard Karting

Nov 9, 2014
    Bradley airort (BDL) which is sort of Windsor Locks or Hartford Ct. has a GREAT museum. The FBO at Tac Air will give you a car and directions.Plan to spend a couple of hours. They have a B29.
    Martin State in Baltimore has a good museum-some of it is off airport but they have a "bus tour".
    The Richmond Va museum is also a good one.
    Dulles has Udvar Hazey? an overflow of Smithsonian stuff-well worth most of a day. They have perhaps the best collection of aviation engines ever, an enormous and excellent display of ww 1 and pre WW 1 aircraft, and a P61 Black Widow that looks like it just came off the flight line.
    Asheboro NC has the NC aviation museum which is fairly good with a very dedicated and hard working staff of volunteers.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Most of those are NEAR airports. The exhibits I'm thinking of are the ones INSIDE airport terminals.

Some years ago, Seattle's Museum of Flight had a little annex inside the terminal at SeaTac Airport; I'm not sure if that is still there.

The old Pan Am Worldport at JFK had a marvelous little museum devoted to the history of the airline. The "Pan Am" TV series of a few years ago did a pretty good job of replicating the interior of the Worldport as it would have appeared in the '60s, and I even saw a reproduction of what appeared to be that museum in the background on one of the episodes.

8. wizzard

wizzard Karting

Nov 9, 2014
    Sorry Gatorrari, but I rarely ever go into an airline terminal. Instead I am hanging around an FBO waiting for passengers and trying to find an interesting and constructive way to spend my time.