Netjet or a competitor thereof? | FerrariChat

Netjet or a competitor thereof?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gershwin, May 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    25-50 hours who would you fly with? I'm not a big Berkshire fan myself but wondering if there is a good alternative.

2. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Flexjet has a pretty large network as well.

3. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Flight Options has the same ownership as Flexjet.

Be careful to understand the charge structures and service areas. Be honest about how you will use the hours.

Look strongly at seeing if you can make a deal with a local charter operator. That is unless you intend to do a lot of one-way trips or ones with extended stays before returning.

Go in with your eyes open. Read and comprehend al the agreement. Fractionals are expensive and you will be trading money for one-call convenience.

Jeff

4. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'd just book with a broker every time you want to fly. Call 10 of them. See who offers the best deal.

5. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Friend of mine just terminated his ownership of an Avanti share (Piaggio) and NetJets for a WheelsUp.

Wheels Up

CW

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Normally, I would say that Netjets is a great choice. They're expensive, but in my experience they are also generally worth it.

But... they are in the middle of very contentious labor negotiations right now, and I would think twice about committing to them until they get that straightened out.

I'd find a high quality charter operator (Solairus, EJM, Jet Aviation, or if you are in the LA area, Desert Jet or JetSet) and negotiate a block rate. It will probably be cheaper-- just be aware that there are a lot of bottom feeder charter operators out there, and a shiny airplane (and even an "ARGUS Gold" certificate on the wall) don't necessarily indicate a quality operation.

7. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Please dont do this. Go with a well known, reputable 135 outfit. Some things you dont go cheap on, Lawyers, Doctors and Pilots etc.

I just helped out on a pre buy for a GIV. The plane was operated by a known 135 bottom feeder. Plane was in such sorry shape I wouldnt even ferry it around the patch. But it was legal according to the paperwork.

Negotiate a package deal and try to get a broker rate.

PS...since you are in Kentucky....You will probably have to pay for a plane to get to you if there is not a suitable solution at your home base airport.

8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    All true, learned the hard way.
    Now I have a trusted broker (Apollo Jets), always dealing with the same person, proven reliable, extremely competitive and would never put me and my family in anything that is questionable in any way.

9. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
  10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Have they gotten better? I know they were a pretty good operator, then merged with a bottom feeder, and the bottom feeder mentality took over. However, that was a few years ago.

For the OP, I'd start by calling Solairus. I believe they have some airplanes in Kentucky, and my friends who work there are very positive on them as a company.

11. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    There are international and regional airports within 15 minutes if my residence.

12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Where are you intending to go?

What sort of passenger load?

How short of notice for a trip?

These are factors to consider in making a best match to solve your needs. It also should be a part of any negotiation you make with whomever you decide to talk with.

13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This doesn't mean there are charters sitting around, or frequenting those airports on the days you may want to travel, hence re-positioning may be required which may carry certain costs.

14. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    My advice then would be to call around and find out what charter aircraft are based at these airports. Otherwise you will incur repositioning costs to get the plane to fly in and start your trip. Not a big deal if you are aware of the extra fees.

15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've posted the name of a reputable charter operator with a base in Kentucky twice already. Why bother starting a thread if you aren't interested in the suggestions posted?

16. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Intend to fly to south Florida and Canada primaily. 1000 miles give or take each way base from Ky.

Passenger load 4-6

I don't require short notice all trips are planned well in advance.

17. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Donv, I noted your suggestion and intend to investigate. Thank you for the recommendation, very much appreciated!

18. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Didn't realize that. Looking at Wheels Up, they say booked for ours occupied. Curious why they don't acll the airline Occupied Air? ;)

There are a couple charters local, one I've done business with before when I had my Lear a few years back. Although I was weighing the prepurchase hours vs straight up charter advantages.

19. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  20. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    With those missions look at turboprops too.

Jeff

21. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011

at the 1000 mile trip length, a turbo prop is on the edge of cost effectiveness... ( cheaper to run but it takes longer to get there )

passenger load of 4-6 also is approaching typical seating limit in a turbo prop...

turbo props are efficient in the shorter range and offer the use of smaller airports if destinations are not in large metro areas

over simplified... a jet would get there in 1/2 the time of a turbo prop...and except for the smallest of jets, seating for 6 would not max out the cabin seating... generally a jet becomes more cost effective at the 1000 mile range with less time in the air and better seating accommodations / bigger loads... also jets in charter generally fly with 2 pilots while turbo props often fly single pilot... best to interview / get quotes from the charter provider to better match the plane to your needs

22. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #22 Jason Crandall, May 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sheesh. I guess all my coast to coast in my PC12 aren't really happening. I don't stop for gas unless I want too. Therefore I'm faster. Also hauling 6-8 all the time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #23 Jason Crandall, May 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    How did you do going from PDK to SMO?

Just curious-- how much fuel does the PC-12 hold?

25. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011