Arsenal of Democracy Flyover in D.C. May 8th. | FerrariChat

Arsenal of Democracy Flyover in D.C. May 8th.

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by LBBP, May 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

CNN Headline:

"WWII jets flyover Washingon monuments"

So, is there and ME-262 there? ha...

3. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I always work from home on Fridays, so I plopped myself and my laptop on my balcony and had a great view. A few of the formations flew right overhead.. really looking forward to the Andrews AFB show now.

4. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I saw the second half on the webcast. I thought the smoke was intentional. The plane ended up making an emergency landing at Reagan.

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Apparently a Curtiss Helldiver had a fire during the flyover and had to make an emergency landing at Regan.

A plane not particularly noted for exemplary handling.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The SB2C wasn't particularly noted for anything exemplary. The announcer said that it was known as the Big Tailed Beast. I never heard that but I did hear it called Sonova***** 2nd Class a few times. A high school buddy predicted his own death in one. The airplane that it was supposed to replace, the SBD, had to stay in action because the SB2C was so lame. The SBD 's excellence can be traced back to Jack Northrop who designed the Alpha, Delta, gamma and A-17 that as far as I'm concerned was a progenitor. The DC-1,-2,and 3 had Northrop's structural design philosophy in the wing configuration as did the A-17 and SBD. I have been told by some stress analysis guys that Northrop's system to analyze metal monocoque structures is still in use today. Northrop was responsible for the molded plywood monocoque fuselages on the Vega series.There were many many other things that he accomplished but never got the credit and rewards that he should have.

7. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I watched them all fly by in the distance from JYO, which they were supposed to pass directly over, but apparently plans changed. It would've been nice to be closer, but it was still cool to see.

8. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I watched from 7th street. The only smoke I saw was from the F4U as it pulled out of the missing man formation(the last group of planes). I was impressed with the amount of people there and on the mall. I know I'm into it but didn't expect so many others. Though it was funny to see large groups of people walk by without even looking up as they went about their day.

9. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
  10. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    And you just know those talking head twits at CNN would have been so excited if there had been an accident.

11. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  12. ECHO CHARLIE

ECHO CHARLIE Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    The TBM pilot in the video gave us a ride back to our plane up at the Fighter Factory , when they were practicing for the air show on 5-16-2015. Fighter Factory had 5 planes in the DC flyover. He looked like a kid , but obviously a talented pilot.
    Everyone should go to Fighter Factory for a visit . Each year they fly all the planes in their museum . Quite an experience!
    Edward

13. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Did a nice job to recognize the problem, decide on a good course of action, kept flying the plane, called the tower and set it down very nicely at Reagan. Luckily, it wasn't a fire but a hydraulic leak. Much easier cleanup!

14. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Wow, thanks for that link. He definitely did a great job.

I was at the museum two years ago for the Warbirds Over the Beach show. What an amazing place!!

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #15 Bob Parks, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
    A mist of hydraulic fluid can be dangerous if it is of the old stuff. I know of several incidents where fatal fires were caused by leaking and misting hydraulic fluid, one of which was in a North American Navion that killed two people. The pilot of the Avenger was smart to get down soon as possible. Skydrol, used in just about everything now is fire resistant but a darn good paint remover. I saw the results of the burst of the hydraulic reservoir on the first 707 that removed all of the zinc chromate primer and the tubing tapes in the area. Hence, SRF, Skydrol Resistant Finish, the bright white finish in the bowels of Boeing airplanes.