i.d plane | FerrariChat

i.d plane

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Edward 96GTS, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    what type military plane has thin wings projecting straight out with wheels directly under fuselage? fairly large. kinda looks like spy plane. u2ish

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    no, engine in fuselage. wheels directly below fuselage. dark green, black in color. looks like a giant glider.

3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    from googling internet, it was definitely a U2. left monterey ca airport at 11am. wonder it it had anything to do with all the private jets in town this weekend? political events??

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    U-2s are a pretty common sight in California. They operate out of Beale AFB in the central valley. I would think it would be unusual for one to be in Monterey, unless they had a mechanical failure or something. Maybe an air show?

The U-2 has tremendous range, so if they were operating out of Monterey, it would mean they were using it to look at something out towards Hawaii, or further...

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    there were a large number of private jets in town. a lot more than usual. would it provide info/ intel for a VIP get together?

6. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    No.... If I were to guess it was probably an inflight emergency that led them to land immediately. The U2 requires some extra logistical support and nobody wants to mess around sending that stuff on the road down to Monterrey from Beale. Tons of stuff to worry about from security for the aircraft to taxiing and wingtip clearances.

The only thing that possibly come to mind is the Defense Language Institute is in Monterrey and maybe they flew one out for a show and tell.