Synthetic Oil? | FerrariChat

Synthetic Oil?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by 2NA, May 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I recently was talking with a pilot friend who told me about an article that he had recently read from a retired "oil industry expert" warning against using any synthetic oils in air-cooled aircraft engines. Apparently imminent failure could result. I just nodded my head and changed the subject.

While I'm not an A&P mechanic, it's hard to imagine what might be different about an aircraft engine from the millions of land-based powerplants that survive the experience.

Anyone wish to comment?

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The operational parameters of an aircraft engine are vastly different than a land-based engine. Witness the very limited success of adapting car engines to aircraft use.

As far as oil most turbines use synthetic IIRC. I think Mobil-1 was/is the only one ever produced for piston, and it did not go well.
    Mobil AV-1 Under Attack - AVweb Features Article

Some info here
    Which Oil Should I Use? - AVweb Features Article

3. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Is there such a thing as a straight 50 weight synthetic?

4. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I put 1000 hours on my Bonanza in 3 years using only Exxon Elite. Never a problem.

5. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    those articles are 20-25 years old from the early 1990s, what is being said currently...

6. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Exxon Elite is semi-synthetic.

Exxon Elite 20W50 - Case 12/1 Qt

7. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Is there a fully synthetic oil currently available for piston aircraft engines? I can't fine any mention of one.

8. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I researched synthetics for piston engines pretty extensively and as stated above, they were a failure. I know of none on the market at present. Given a 50 hour oil change interval, and relatively cool oil temps I typically see, I am not sure there is any real benefit to a synthetic, anyway.

9. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Years ago Amsoil used to have an oil that was suitable for aircraft, and it was pulled later due to insurance premiums, I used it and it worked great...there was also an Amsoil race plane that Burt Rutan designed, and flown by Dan Mortensen and it did break some speed records, that used the oil also at Reno, its now in the EAA museum..

10. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    AMSOIL Racer - Ask.com Encyclopedia
    "At the 1983 Reno Air Races, during one of the early heat races, Mortensen had to manoeuvre in order to avoid a mid-air collision with Sorceress, ending up entering that plane's wake turbulence only 35 feet (11 m) off the ground. With so little altitude to recover, the AMSOIL Racer hit the ground at over 200 mph (320 km/h), tumbling. The plane was completely destroyed, but since Rutan had designed the cockpit to withstand a 22g impact, Mortensen survived with only minor injuries.

The aircraft was rebuilt for static display, and was suspended over the Pylon Bar in the Reno Hilton (now the Grand Sierra Resort) in Reno, Nevada for many years. It now resides in the EAA Museum at Oshkosh, WI. The second aircraft that was licensed by Rutan was never built.
    "

https://www.amsoil.com/shopres/warranty/amsoil-warranty-lubricants.pdf
    WHAT THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:
    • AMSOIL lubricants used in any manned aircraft or aviation application.