Birmingham UPS crash - with Video | FerrariChat

Birmingham UPS crash - with Video

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Jun 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    "This video has been removed by the user" :(

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yep, gone now...

Was an animation, well done.

4. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Dunno how the rules are for the NTSB but it wouldn't surprise me if it were similar to Air Force safety in that the video recreations and some aspects of the report are not for unlimited public disclosure. My guess is that somebody got ahold of privileged information without being read in on the release limitations.

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It's an official release. The Chairman of the NTSB announced it-- hard to get more official than that!

6. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I guess I missed that when I first read it.... Thanks.

7. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    It's odd that they apparently deleted it from their Youtube account, but here's the video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nezidlOIXqU[/ame]

I like that it's brief and to the point, and anyone who wants or needs more detail can read the full report.

8. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Thanks.... That was a little different than I expected. Basically like a short documentary with lessons learned. I was expecting a military style CGI recreation with key instrumentation shown and CVR audio.

9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    An over reliance on automation killed these pilots. There is no first law of robotics at work anywhere, but people think that there is. Very sad.

10. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West
    #11 aseweepay, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    I don't know if an over-reliance on automation is the cause in this accident nearly as much as I think that fatigue led to a breakdown in decision making and following of procedures. If the automation (autopilot) is using the FMS for information, then the info used is only as good as the info entered, hence fatigue causing both pilots to miss bad information in the FMS and them allowing the plane to do something it shouldn't have.

However, I do think that as an industry, the airlines have taught an over-reliance on automation which is leading to a dumbing down of piloting skills...just my .02....