what really happened here | FerrariChat

what really happened here

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by boxerman, Jun 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Οh my God... For 25 minutes? How is that possible?

2. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    They're constantly on our butts to save fuel, but that's just overboard.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Nowhere except the headline is "25 minutes" mentioned (I searched). The article says that they descended 13,000 feet, and restarted the engines. Probably about 6-7 minutes without engine power, at most.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There you go again, screwing up a perfectly good story with physics.

5. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    #6 MarkPDX, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    I will preface this by saying that I know nothing about Airbus..... But just thinking about the 737-200 the ceiling for the APU was 25k feet thought can't remember the specifics beyond that. I guess I could see the scenario where you lose your engines at 39k and then make a gentle descent down to go over emergency procedures and get down where you can light up the APU and then relight the engines when you are at an altitude more suitable.

What Don said about the time sounds more realistic..... Anybody know how long the Gimli glider went for? They were at 41k but I don't seen any time/distance info and am too lazy to do the math.

6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Another A330 glider, which based on the article puts your number spot on.
    Air Transat Flight 236 - Ask.com Encyclopedia
    "The descent rate of the plane was about 2,000 feet (600 metres) per minute."

7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    They also have the RAT to provide power. Not familiar enough with turbines but the engines will be windmilling quite fast, so do they still need the starter to re-light?

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It depends on how high you are and how fast you are going.

A friend of mine had a double flameout in a Learjet 25, at around 40,000 feet. He didn't mess around with trying to prolong the glide or anything-- he descended at MMO to (I think) around FL300, and relit the engines.

If you're going fast enough, a windmilling air start is the way to go. Just turn the ignition on, add fuel, and it should start.

In the case of the Gimli Glider, they didn't have any gas, so it wasn't a question of trying to relight. They would have descended as slowly as they could.

9. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
  10. keelaboosa

keelaboosa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2006
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I think the title is misleading. Over the course of 25 minutes at its cruising speed of 470 knots, the A330 would have covered 225 miles while dropping only 13,000 feet. That’s a glide slope of 95:1, something not achieved by gliders. Even if you consider the speed would have dropped once the engines cut out, let’s say it slowed to its stall speed of 120 knots, the glide slope would have been 24:1. By comparison the Gimli glider managed a glide slope of 12:1.

Perhaps the 25 minutes refers to the time it was over water, not the time the engines were out?

11. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    By the way, what is the turbine relighting ceiling for these engines? Did they decend to get into a relighting condition or did it take the crew 7-8 minutes of trying to achieve relighting?

Regards,

Art S.

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Are you saying that the A330 has an L/D of 24? I doubt it.

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't know what it is on the A330, but I think 30,000 feet is pretty typical. They might have gotten it going in less than 7-8 minutes, I would think 7-8 minutes would be the max.

They have to get out the checklist, too... that must have been a bit of a cluster, in that cockpit. My buddy in the Lear 25 was an instructor in the airplane (and they had been having a run of flameouts over the past year). Ironically, his fairly inexperienced copilot had just asked him about flameouts before the first one went, so they already had the checklist out!

Most jets, though, if you're in a pinch, get below 30,000 feet, look for core rotation above about 15-20% and any fan rotation, turn on the ignition, give it fuel, and it should go. If it doesn't, there is something else wrong. The problem guys get into is if they did all that checklist stuff about securing the engine. Then they have to undo all that stuff before it will start. That said, you do at least want to make sure the fuel is off after it flames out...

14. keelaboosa

keelaboosa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2006
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    No, I'm saying no matter how you slice it there's no way it was powerless for 25 minutes and dropped only 13k feet.

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Okay, got what you are saying.