That's All... Brother | FerrariChat

That's All... Brother

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by donv, Jun 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Great article. There is another D-day C-47 vet that is being restored in Florida. I did the markings drawing for it. I also did a drawing of a C-47 flown by my friend, the late Capt. Don Orcutt. It was 9X-D and he flew four sorties on D-Day towing gliders, delivering ordinance, and para- troopers. he did the same thing for Market garden and returning from his last sortie his airplane was grounded due to so many holes and flak damage.
    A lot of untold heroism here.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    An invasion-striped C-47 from the Cavanaugh Flight Museum, accompanied by three T-6s, did the pre-race fly-by over last evening's IndyCar race at Texas Motor Speedway. I thought that was a cool thing to do on the anniversary of D-Day!

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Great cause!

I give to help maintain our local D-Day Bird as well. Here's a brief overview if its history:

• Normandy Invasion
    • Operation Market Garden
    • Battle of the Bulge
    • Operation Varsity—towing infantry troops in two gliders at a time
    • Berlin Airlift
    • Restored to flight status after a crash-landing in 2001

It’s Hard to Keep an Old Soldier Down - The resurrection of Tico Belle

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Being a "Been there done that" type, I am appalled at the almost total incorrectness of the markings and finish on "Tico belle". The OD paint was not glossy but flat, the undersurface was not white-gray but 50% neutral gray AND flat, the font for the unit identification numbers is wrong . And here they have a photo of the airplane when it was in service and they can't follow it! For me, this restoration is nothing but a cartoon.

6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #6 Wade, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here it is from a few weeks ago... I think it is flat.

While I can't attest to their decisions on the markings and configuration I do know that they've been woefully underfinanced since the beginning. Maybe the "Hollywood" paint job is to attract the masses (I'm just guessing)?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Wade, I apologize for coming on so strong. To me it's pretty simple to look up factual stuff. There are plenty of resources in documents and old photos but time and again there is money and time wasted on doing the wrong thing that doesn't show what it was really like.

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Not a problem at all and I'm with you regarding historical accuracy. Next time I'm over there I'll inquire about its next repaint.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #9 Gatorrari, Jun 7, 2015
  10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #10 Bob Parks, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    Samo- samo. Wrong shiny colors, wrong application with the OD color carried too far down on the fuselage and not far enough on the nacelles, undersurface grey is way too light, the color separation was NEVER taped but dark color was over- sprayed where it met the lighter color, numerals are correct as far as font but the unit I.D. was white. The inside surface of the nacelles was not gloss black, no need since it was FLAT OD. The aircraft individual I.D. on the fin was usually white and only the serial number was high visibility yellow. Doesn't anyone look at photos anymore?

11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #11 Wade, Jun 8, 2015
  12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yes, that looks correct. I have learned that the new C-46 tanker is painted in that color. All over.

13. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

That looks like the correct olive also. Not glossy.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    During the war a few fighter pilots tried waxing their airplanes and found that they got about 5MPH more speed. The flattening substance that was added to the paint actually imparted a roughness to the surface much fine grit sandpaper. The German paints did not have that roughness and the British figured out how to do the same thing and their paints had a slight sheen to them. Their paint specs called, for example, Sky Type S, (Sky Type "Smooth").referring to the under surfaces.

15. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #15 GrigioGuy, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015